Sunday, May 29, 2011

Remembering … Part two

Part Two:
My husband’s paternal grandparents were
Luke and Dolly Bradley Clegg.
IMG
Dolly spent her childhood in Oklahoma, living quite an affluent life.  Her family  had “help” working for them and Dolly admits that she was a little spoiled as far as having to labor, cook, etc.  She said, “I was lucky because I never had to do a day’s work.”   She remembers having a little pony and other luxuries uncommon to most families in those days.  She was what was referred to as a “Southern Lady”.  When she was seventeen she moved to Altonah, Utah where she met and fell in love with her school teacher, Luke Clegg.
One funny story from her life was shortly after she married when she tried to make home made bread.  She had watched their servant make it many times.  It failed miserably (she probably didn’t realize the whole yeast process) and she threw it out to the chickens.  Dolly was thrifty, however, and put away a little grocery money every week, saving enough money over the years to pay for a trip around the world for her husband and herself.
Luke was a very patriotic man who loved teaching and loved to support America.  He taught school, volunteered for the service during World War Two (he was fifty years old and not able to do combat, but served stateside), was a real-estate developer, and served as a state senator for Utah.  His motto was:  “I have really just one hobby:  hard work.”
(He was one of seventeen children!)
There are just so many lessons to be learned from these wonderful relatives.
JoAnn

4 comments:

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

I loved listening to great grandma tell me stories of her childhood. I also loved how amazing her memory was... I definitley didn't get that one from her. You forgot to mention how she could remember everyones birthdays and could tell you what the weather was like the day you were born. That just amazes me.

Irene said...

I'm glad you post these stories so I can learn about the Clegg ancestors. What remarkable people!

monica said...

Thanks for sharing past memories! I love these posts. I bet Grandpa almost considers starting a blog so he can share more of his family stories via blogging. Could you imagine? 94 and blogging!

Marcia said...

I never get tired of hearing these stories. Thanks for reminding me to remember them.