My daughter Liz has been working on a family cookbook.
She has been updating the one we already have and has been asking me for recipes of some of our favorite family foods that were missing in the first version.
The problem is....
I don't have recipes for some things.
I like to throw things together and cook by trial and error.
I know what ingredients to put in, but I always guess at the amounts. Usually, I just taste things and see what is missing or needed.
(I inherited this trait from my grandmother, but she took a lot of her delicious recipes
with her when she died. My kids want our recipes to survive!)
We grew up cooking by adding a pinch of this, a dash or that, or a glob or something. Pretty hard converting over to a recipe!
(Just for fun my daughter Michelle found these measuring spoons for me!)This weekend we tried to come up with an actual recipe for our potato salad. It was pretty interesting as we tried to measure and figure things out. It is close, but it still might require the "taste test" to see if the balance is good.
Here goes:
Potato Salad
14 to 16 potatoes- about 18 cups diced (cook until tender, peel, dice into small cubes)
1 cup chopped celery or about 3 stalks
3 or 4 cups Mayonnaise (This depends on how creamy you like your salad.)
½ tablespoon Lemon Juice
1 tablespoon onion flakes (or several green onions diced)
2 tablespoons Hot Dog Relish
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon paprika
½ to ¾ cup milk (or more if the dressing is too thick)
6 hard boiled eggs
1 hard boiled egg to cut up on top of salad
Salt and pepper to taste
How do you make potato salad?
♥
JoAnn
If you are looking for some easy, low cost Christmas gift ideas check out the "party"
at Just a Girl.
At the bottom of today's blog she has a list of sites to check out.
♥
JoAnn
If you are looking for some easy, low cost Christmas gift ideas check out the "party"
at Just a Girl.
At the bottom of today's blog she has a list of sites to check out.
4 comments:
I just LOVE potato salad! And always happy to try a new recipe. How lucky that you would share this with us.
Wow...what a job for your daughter to put together a cookbook.
Have a great day.
Sandra
It was fun to try and figure out the recipe... even if we did have to do some weird things to figure out what we needed to add. I'm glad we have it written down now. Thanks.
I love your potato salad. It will be nice to have the recipe....but I think I'd still rather come to your house and eat yours!
I think it so funny that you never follow a recipe. I guess it doesn't matter because your food always tastes great!
Katie C.
Post a Comment