Sunday, May 12, 2013

Lessons learned…..from moms

I am one of the lucky ones.

This beautiful lady is my mother, Mildred.

image

And this classy lady is my mother-in-law, Naomi.

image

And everyone should have an Aunt Mardene in their life.

image

Today, as we honor our mothers, I thought I’d share a few bits of wisdom I learned from these amazing women.

Here goes:

1.  Love and sacrifice are innate qualities to them. 

No matter what.

Everyone else comes first.  It didn’t matter if they were tired, sick, busy, or wanting some personal time, if we needed them- they were always there.  In fact, if anyone needed them they were of service.  You didn’t even have to ask.  They seemed to always know.

2.  The best way to a person’s  heart is through their stomach. 

I have wonderful memories of delicious meals prepared by their hands.  Some are recipes that none of us can even replicate.  A visit always included a tasty meal or treat.  So many heavenly aromas came from their kitchens.

3.  A little humor goes a long way (and takes the stress of life).

My mother and her good friend, Carol, once made dresses out of the old stage curtains from our church.  (Think Carol
Burnett and her skit from Gone With The Wind.)  My mother-in-law loved to eat dessert first.  They always helped us see the humor in life’s little disasters, to laugh at the spills and mishaps.  They would always remind us that one day we would laugh at the situation and in the meantime, we would survive.

4.  Kindness is the only option. 

Whenever someone would offend us, we were always reminded to think about what it was like being in that person’s shoes.  They always practiced patience.  We were encouraged to never exclude people, or leave anyone out of the fun.  They always looked for the good in people.  Many times we heard the words, “If you can’t say anything kind, don’t say anything at all!”

5.  Aim for perfection.

We were guided by their examples and encouraged to try a little harder.  Quitting was never an option.  They were (Mardene is still alive, so I should add “are”) women of honor and courage, those we all look up to as earthly angels. 

We love and honor them and many other women today!

Happy Mothers’ Day!

JoAnn

P.S.  I am blessed to be the mother/mother-in-law of some pretty amazing children, too!

 

8 comments:

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

We are pretty lucky to have some pretty incredible women in our family! I feel especially grateful to have you as a mother! All those things you just mentioned about grandma hall, grandma clegg and Mardene all hold true for you as well. Especially the being there when I need you most thing. You have always been there for me, through thick and thin and I love you for it. Thanks for being the best mom a girl could ask for! I love you!!!!

Pondside said...

It's obvious that you come from a long line of women who know how to mother - what a gift!! Happy Mother's Day to you!

Laura said...

What a wonderful comment your children left above.
How proud you must be.
Thank you for visiting my blog!

Laura
White Spray Paint

Rosella said...

I'm one of the lucky ones too! Hope you had a wonderful Mom's Day.

wendy said...

Wonderful lifes lessons....and I love those old photos.

Marg said...

Those lessons are so perfect. I could honestly say that those fit the description of my Mother.
Sometimes I get homesick for my mom..I just want her to be here for me somedays, just to hear her voice cheering me on.
And it looks to me like you are also modelling the same lessons to your family.

Mimi Sue said...

Loved your post! You have some pretty special women in your life. Such a blessing! Hope your Mother's Day was delightful. Mimi

Linda said...

Such a beautiful post...and photos!