Monday, August 19, 2013

The Farmers’ Market…

School starts on Wednesday, and I have been busy getting things ready.  Last week we had a full schedule of trainings, so this week has been a real scramble to get my classroom set up for my projected thirty-two students!  That is stressful on several levels- too many bodies for my desks and not enough time to prepare.  On Saturday I decided I needed a little break, so even though no one could go with me, I headed off the the Salt Lake City Farmers’ Market.

image

There were a LOT of people with the same idea.

P8170373

P8170366

It was a warm day, but I loved looking at all the home-grown produce.

P8170355

I wanted to buy it all.  (The fresh raspberries and nectarines looked so refreshing, but I missed taking a picture of them.)  I avoided the tomatoes since we have our own endless supply of them!

P8170358

P8170359

I did buy some “picked fresh this morning butter and sugar corn on the cob” (We cooked it at home and it was truly delicious!)

P8170356

The flowers were tempting…

P8170357

P8170370

The pastries were a big hit with everyone.

P8170368

P8170367

The caramel bun in the lower right hand corner had my name on it-and it was worth the whole trip!  They scooped up a big serving of the gooey caramel, too.

There were some fun places to eat lunch.

P8170372

cropped1

Live entertainment was playing on a stage.

P8170376

The vendors were friendly.  This nice man wanted to showcase his overalls!  (I think he figured he would end up on a blog or Facebook.)

P8170360

I had a great time wandering around looking at everything. 

The market was just what I needed!

Do you have local farmers’ markets where you live?

JoAnn

P.S.  Michelle, I just might go with you again on Saturday!

 

7 comments:

Stacey said...

32 students? I'll be thinking of you. You'll have to keep us posted with how that's going. My district pretty much kept it to 20-25.

The farmer's market looks like so much fun. I love to go to ours. :)

Rosella said...

We have a wonderful Farmer's Market here too. I'm planning to head on over there in my lunch break to get some peaches for my Fruit Relish Preserves!
Oye - you sound like you really needed a Market day break! Good luck with your preps.

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

I didn't know you did that. Sounds like a good way to spend a Saturday morning. I know our bountiful market isn't nearly as big but I still love it. You should come with us sometime.

Michelle said...

I think we should go this Saturday and get us a mint limeade. Those were yummy! It's always a fun experience.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

32 students sounds like a NYC classroom size, JoAnn! Hope all works out well for you this year.

This looked like a lovely Farmer's Market with wonderful selections. I would have wanted a caramel bun, too!

There is a Farmer's Market in my town but I have yet had a chance to visit it. Hopefully, soon I will.

Mimi Sue said...

Farmer's markets are great fun! We have one in Kaysville on Thurs evenings. Sat morning in SL is the best! Mimi

Marg said...

I love farmer's markets. We just made a trip down south to CA. I always was looking for the markets. So many interesting things...and I loved your choice of sticky buns. There is a good recipe for those in the MGCC book and it's die for.pg.128
I just had my teacher kids in for supper tonight. She is pregnant for Feb. and is so excited. How much fun will that all be.