
I don’t know about you, but I have a pretty short memory when it comes to recalling events and daily happenings.
The sad thing is, I think I’ll remember, and yet I quite often forget important details.
I have never been patient enough to do cutesy scrapbooking. While other people would create fun and exciting pages, I would struggle to come up with anything even slightly interesting.
(Yes, I have a few years worth of heart or oval shaped scalloped edge photos in my attempts at trying to be creative.)
I was in the habit of writing my family a weekly newsletter, but during the last year it has suffered a lot. I’m trying to get going on it again. (Knock on wood!)
My blog is a pretty good history of our family happenings, but I don’t share many things which are too personal or too private.
(Or too embarrassing!)
My parents are both gone now and how I would love to know more about their daily lives. The “life histories” they left behind are both only several pages long. I do have a lot of old letters my mother wrote to me during my college days, and it is fun to read about her time baby sitting my nephews, her visits taking home made bread to sick neighbors, and some of the daily frustrations and joys of being a farmer’s wife. Don’t you love to hear about the little things that they did?
My in-laws have wonderful history books they have written,but I treasure the weekly letters they sent us while on a mission in Ghana and Nigeria sharing their daily struggles to find enough food, or their humility as their prayers were answered for safety.
So, what is my point?
I think I’m writing this to give myself a little nudge in the personal history department, and if it helps someone else get motivated, too, then that is even better.
I thought I’d make a little list of some ideas that might help preserve memories. Maybe some of them will help you, too.
1. Write a daily journal (or at least one with several entries in it every once-in-awhile!)
2. Blog, Facebook, or email letters that you can print or save.
3. Write family newsletters.
4. Save hand written letters or cards you receive from family, or copy ones you send.
5. Organize photos, making sure to print some and save copies of them in multiple places in case of computer crashing, fires, or other disasters. Scan in old photos that pre-date digital cameras.
6. Save old calendars or date books. They contain small snippets of daily life.
7. Organize photo albums or scrap books. Take advantage of coupons and publish hard cover books on line.
8. Ask relatives to share copies of histories or photos that they have.
9. Record, tape, or film relatives talking.
10. Take lots of pictures. Do some as yearly traditions to document and compare how things have changed. Don’t forget to label who they are!
11. Don’t think it has to be perfect! You can always edit things later.
Go here for some other good ideas.
“Nothing is ever really lost to us as
long as we remember it.”
― L.M. Montgomery, The Story Girl
JoAnn
P.S. How do you preserve your history?
P.P.S. Thanks for the photo, Liz! Her friend Ashley Gammill took the photo.
We miss you Shane! My nephew Shane has been gone for three years.
I’m grateful for my memories of him!

Thanks for sharing the photo, Travis!
My daughter, Liz, and I seem to be on the same wave length tonight. Check out her blog post here.
5 comments:
So you are writing about everything I've been trying to do lately. As I have been going back and reading all my old blogposts I realize how much I have forgotten. Just like you said, even big things I never thought I could forget at the time. It has been fun remembering. Thanks for the reminder to get the ball rolling on preserving our family history. PS I love both your news letters and your blog and plan to make copies of your blog books for myself somewhere down the road.
Those are great ideas. I wish we did more things like that in our family.
Great tips! Thanks for sharing. I'm a new GFC follower :)
P.S. I'm hosting a giveaway that you might be interested in!
www.domesticsweetheart.com
It is really all about just taking up one of your ideas. Blogging helps - as I scroll through, I see a history of my thoughts about what has happened around here. Thanks for the nudge in the right direction!
I used to have a much better memory than I do now. Sad to say. I love the idea of weekly newletters. Mimi
Post a Comment