Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Blessings, Gratitude, and Indomitable Spirits

image

This is our sweet grand daughter Aubrey. We sure do love her!

She is smart, cute, limber, cuddly, feisty (stubborn), determined, and can fall asleep in almost any position, anywhere.  She tries to keep up with her big sisters and does a pretty good job on most things.  She sure loves her baby brother (occasionally, too much!).

She hasn’t  seemed very interested in learning to talk.  She knows some sign language and is pretty good at letting you know what she wants.

Imagine my surprise last week when she called me on the phone (with some help from her mom).  She chatted and chatted. 

She talked my ear off.

I’m not sure exactly what we talked about, but there was some good laughing and a lot of repetition, so I imagine it was important stuff. 

Every day is a new discovery for her.

Aubrey has Down Syndrome, so we were expecting some challenges with her development, but she is one amazing child.

 

image

I can’t wait to see what wonderful things she will accomplish in her lifetime!

* * * * * * * * * *

My husband and I are serving as missionaries for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Inner City Project here in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Our job is to offer help and support to those who struggle.

We have been given training to help link people with resources for problems that might interfere with their happiness.  There are so many people out there who are willing to donate time and service to help others.  There are also many agencies that can help. 

Have you ever heard of the phone number 211? 

It can link you with different service agencies, and it can also link your service to someone else who might need it.

(For example, a boy scout wanting to do an Eagle project could call and offer his services.)

A young family in our mission area asked me if I would teach their two young girls to play the piano.  These little girls are so sweet and polite. 

They don’t have a piano in their home, just an old key board.

Today I taught them their third music lesson and I was impressed at how well they had practiced.  They are excited to learn.

Imagine my surprise when they told me their keyboard doesn’t work.

It has no sound.

That didn’t stop them from practicing.

They just couldn’t hear what they were playing!

Their dad has ordered a part to fix the keyboard, but I think they would have continued to practice on the silent keys-just to learn.

I’m not sure I would have wanted to learn piano enough to play on an old, silent keyboard, but I hope I would have.

Makes you think about how blessed you are!

* * * * * * * *

Don’t you love hearing about people who have an indomitable spirit- the kind that doesn’t seem to let problems get in the way of success?

source

JoAnn

6 comments:

Pondside said...

Yes! Yes! Yes! Happiness IS a choice. We can dwell on challenges or we can look past them at what we can make happen. I loved the story of the little girls and their keyboard. Your little Aubrey is adorable - like a Little Red Riding Hood or perhaps Heidi!

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

Thanks for making me cry! I sure do love my sweet Aubrey and feel so lucky she is mine. She definitely makes me proud. And I absolutely live listening to her talk. She talks with such purpose. I just wish I knew what she was saying. She did say a new phrase today that was quite clear. She said "my brother." She loves her baby.

Your story about the piano makes me feel a bit guilty. Here I have been complaining about wanting a real piano when I do have a very nice electric piano. It makes sound and works well. I guess I just need to remember how lucky I really am. Thanks for the reminder Mom. I sure do love you!

Stacey said...

What a wonderful post!

Aubrey is so precious. I'm so glad she called you to chat. I bet she'll be talking your ear off.

The piano students are amazing too. I bet y'all can find a keyboard somewhere if they can't fix theirs.

Irene said...

Love that girl!
Thanks for sharing the story of the sweet girls and their silent keyboard.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

This is such an inspiring post, JoAnn! Your Aubrey is so pretty, and it must have been a thrill for you to hear her talk over the phone. I think sometimes children wait until they can talk fullsentences.

I recently heard about 211 and think it is a wonderful resource, and will be of great help to many in need.

Your story about the little girls who practiced on the silent piano keyboard was so touching. I hope someday someone will donate a piano to them.

Marg said...

Joanne, you are one inspiration. She is so well adjusted because of the love and support that she receives from her family...especially YOU!. I know another Grandmother who has made a world of difference in her granddaughter's life, diagnosed with Asperger's.
You have a wonderful family and by sharing this you are forwarding blessings to others.