Tuesday, May 13, 2014

How does your garden grow?

image

My husband picked up these planter barrels for our daughters/daughters-in-law for Mother’s Day. 

Look how quickly they were filled up.

I’d say these blossoms are pretty much perfect!

The master gardeners say you need three things for planters.

Thrillers:  plants with striking colors, textures or shapes that make the arrangement pop.  I like  spiky plants in the center.

Spillers:  trailing or vining plants that spill over the edge of the planter.   Sweet potatoes have  great leaves.

Fillers:  mounded plants that fill in around the other plants, such as begonias, pansies, coleus, seed geraniums, and impatiens.

Who needs thrillers, spillers, and fillers when you have grand kids?

Thanks for visiting!

JoAnn

P.S.  What do you like to put in your planters?

Thanks for the picture, Liz!

9 comments:

Rosella said...

This is adorable!! I think you have the thrillers, spillers and fillers perfect!

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

I'm so excited about those barrels! I'm glad Dad loved us. :) we sure do have a cute lot of kiddies don't we?

Irene said...

Those kiddos were adorable in the barrels. Thanks For the great gift, now I just have to figure out how to fill it up (other than the kids.)

Stacey said...

Oh that's so cute!! The kids are adorable.

I'd love big planters like that and I'd put more than 3 plants in each one. :)

Pondside said...

I love it! You have everything you need in those planters!

Mimi Sue said...

Adorable plantings for sure! I love to plant sweet potato vines. I especially love the lime green ones. We have window boxes and they are spectacular spilling over the edge. Mimi

Marg said...

That is way to cute. I have exactly the same pots and painted them all black. So coincidental.
But cuter yet, is your life plants...I love how you tucked them in the planters.
I've got geraniums, lobelia and trailing yellow portulaca.

Stacey said...

Hi JoAnn. :)

Thanks for your sweet comment about my gardens. They are a work in progress since we haven't been here long. I have vision and love doing that kind of work though.

When do you get out of school? The last day here is June 5th.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Your grandchildren make lovely flowers!

Whatever I plant the deer and rabbits eat...lol!