Saturday, February 21, 2015

A little bragging….but Linda made me!

    This is going to be one of those posts that I probably shouldn’t share…it involves a little bragging on my part, but my sister Linda said I had to (and I’m afraid of her-ha ha!).

    Please feel free to log off at any time.  I know how people feel about those flowery Christmas newsletters that list all of your amazing, wonderful children and their multitalented accomplishments, as well as your success at the best work place in the universe, your perfect marriage to a six foot tall (and handsome, too) CEO, or a trophy wife if you are a male, and hint at your recently redecorated 5,000 square foot house.

    Still with me?  At least you have been warned!

    I feel hesitant to toot my own horn, so to speak, but on the other hand I do want to remember this, and it could have been written to any number of teachers who work with children. 

    I always wonder what happens to those little people who pass through my classroom, but I seldom get to know. Many of my students move frequently and it is hard to stay in touch with them, so imagine my surprise when I received a message from a former student on Facebook tonight.

    I’m setting the stage with a photo taken two years after this student was in my class, but one of the earliest I have on my computer.

image

Here goes:

Hi Ms. Clegg!
I have no idea if you would remember me or not, but I was in your third grade class back in 2001 at Redwood Elementary school. We held class in one of the portables behind the school building and there was a lot of construction going on with the new wing (new at the time).
I'm a student at BYU-Idaho now, getting ready to graduate with a BS in Child Development in a few semesters. I've been taking a family history class this semester and it has helped me reflect back on the people in my life who inspired me to find success.
I just wanted to get in touch with you and let you know that you are one of those people. I learned a lot from your class and from you personally. I remember that you were always an example of patience and kindness and that has stuck with me for the past 14 years. Haha! It's so weird to say that. It makes me feel old.
I hope all of those years have treated you well and that you’re still bright and happy. Thank you for being an inspiration to me and for all of the children you have taught before and after me.
Sincerely,
Megan (last name deleted for her privacy)

Guess I’ll go see who else I can find to share this with!

JoAnn

P.S.  #teacherpaydayswollenheadmoment

9 comments:

Stacey said...

You're not bragging! Teachers are some of the most important people that kids encounter. Second only to parents, in my mind. The fact that she thinks of you still is a nod to your love and skills. :)

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

I had a few teachers over the years that made a huge impact ony life as well and I still think fondly of them today. I'm sure that most people probably have their own list of influential teachers as well. One thing I can guarantee though is that there are probably quite a few people who have been influenced by the amazing Mrs. Clegg! You really have a way with knowing exactly what those students need. Thanks for always being such a great example to me in my life. Love you!

Rosella said...

Awww - such a sweet post JoAnn! It's wonderful that she has remembered you in this way and that she told you! Teachers are very special people!

Pondside said...

Not bragging at all. Sharing. And I'm glad you've shared!! What a lovely young person to write such a note. We know that a good teacher will be an influence for life!

julie said...

That's awesome, JoAnn! I love feel good stories like this!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

This is a wonderful letter, JoAnn, and you have every reason to be so proud of it! It is so well deserved!

I have three nieces and one nephew who are teachers, my daughter-in-law is also a teacher and my son works in education in a policy capacity, so I have a great respect for all teachers and the work they do.

Irene said...

I love it! You are an example of kindness and patience to me as well. I only hope I can be as good of a mom as you have been.

Auntie Linda said...

I guess I can have bragging rights as to being "the sister you are afraid of" haha. I am glad you shared. We are proud of you and I am sure mom and dad are too. You work so hard each day! Now you need to frame it and put it where you can see it on bad days!( In a drawer at school maybe) You may never know the reaches of the good you are doing. Keep up the good work!

Marg said...

When those letters come even years later, they are treasured. Obviously you left a real legacy with this student and you must be so proud to see this student moving on in post studies. I'm glad you could have this moment. You deserve it.