Saturday, February 21, 2015

Grandma rewards….and consequences

I love being a grandma!

We got a late start in the grandparent business, but it was worth the wait.

We recently welcomed our NINTH grand child and she and her family will be here to visit in three (long) weeks.  We can’t wait.

Our oldest is only seven so it can be a wild party when they are all here at the same time!  Having adult grown up conversations involves using loud voices, frequent interruptions while trying to remember what you were talking about, and multi-tasking (often with a baby in your arms).  Kind of complicated, but always interesting.

We can’t believe how different each child is, and yet how much we love them all.

We received this fun note recently. 

IMG_3275

We love doing puzzles, reading books, playing games, and cooking with them.  Recently we strung bead necklaces together.  Their comments as we play/work are priceless.

Sometimes, being a grandma involves a few challenges.  Do you see the new towel rack in our tiny basement bathroom?  Hanging on the towel bar, our grandkids pulled it out of the wall, sheetrock and all.

It was an easy patch, and I like the new look better than the old.  I’d actually already been thinking that I wanted to change it- so this really was the nudge I needed.

Thanks, kid!

image

We often find things in new and original places after they have been here visiting.

Sometimes, we can’t find things at all.

We’ve learned to hunt in unlikely locations like the refrigerator, under the sofa, in the dishwasher, and in the toy cupboard.

When our children were little, our daughter Heidi and cousin Jon pulled up all the newly planted flowers in grandma’s flower bed.

(I’m hoping they thought they were helping.)

I guess it comes with the territory of being grand parents.  Are the inconveniences worth the joys of being a grand parent?

I wouldn’t trade my role for anything!

It’s kind of fun being the “spoiler” instead of the “disciplinarian”. 

Now I just need some good hugs.

Good thing we are having a family dinner tomorrow!

JoAnn

P.S.  Anyone have any motivational ideas for window washing?

#tiredoflookingthroughfilmyglass

3 comments:

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

I'm glad my kids have grandparents like you because there sure are days when the only way they survive is by going to play at grandmas house to give mom a break!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

My husband and I always say we love having our three grandchildren over and spoiling them, and then we enjoy sending them home---lol! I can't imagine having 9 under the age of 7, but you are certainly blessed to have so many!

Irene said...

You are an amazing grandma! My kids are so lucky! They love coming over to your house.