Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Saying good-bye.

image

After record breaking rainfall in May (which meant postponing yard work until June), closing up my classroom for the summer, and trying to catch up at home (neglecting everything because of school) it has been crazy around here.

The last week of school is always a physical and mental endurance test.  Students don’t want to work anymore, it is often too warm in the classroom, and teachers have to sort, organize, and box up everything.

While I enjoyed my students, we were all ready for the change.

I will miss their hugs, cute comments, wonderful stories, and creative art work.

(And the fact that they don’t have a clue how old I am!)

IMG_1148

My kind father-in-law passed away right before the school year ended.  His ninety-six (almost ninety-seven) year old body just wore out.  After falling several times, we admitted him to the hospital.  He was then put on Hospice and within a few days he passed away.  We celebrated his funeral on Saturday.  We feel blessed that he was able to go quickly and not suffer for a long time, but we will miss him a lot, especially sharing Sunday dinners with him.

IMG_1146

My sweet Aunt Mardene had been living alone and was quite independent, but a week ago she suffered some mini strokes (we think), so we moved her to an assisted living home.  We fixed up her room and had it so cozy and comfortable.  Within a few days she also passed away. 

We are planning another funeral. 

She leaves behind a void in many lives, too.  She never married, but has loved, cared for, and supported three generations of nieces and nephews.

image

We flipped around our summer travel plans and daughter Heidi and family flew here instead of our going there.  I will soon be driving them back to Oregon.  We have enjoyed catching up with their children and don’t look forward to having to say good-bye to them.

We feel  blessed that both Mardene and Ken’s dad were able to be with us as long as they were (187 years combined), and that they were in pretty good health until the very end, but it has been surreal losing them both within a week of each other.

Even though we know they are now free from physical limitations and pain, and are reunited with loved ones who had gone before,

it is never easy saying good-bye.

We will miss them!

JoAnn

P.S.  The yard is getting prettier now with Day lilies blooming, the Daisies starting to open up, some annuals planted for color, and little Zinnia sprouts popping up.

Now, if I could only stay ahead of the weeds!

 

4 comments:

Stacey said...

I'm so sorry all of that is happening especially at once. That's tough. Your family is in my thoughts.

Your yard is so pretty! I clicked on the pictures to enlarge them and WOW it's really lovely.

Rosella said...

Aw - such a bitter sweet post JoAnn! Sorry about your great loses. You have put much love into your garden - it looks beautiful! Enjoy your days and make them long summer ones!

Danelle Long said...

I love to read your posts. They are always filled with love and compassion for life. You have almost a poetic way of telling stories, that make everything interesting to read. Thank you for sharing your life with me.

Marg said...

Hi,
Oh when I saw you say goodbye, I thought you had retired.....that too will be difficult, but loosing parents and aunts is not easy. It's nice that your children are coming around and you have them at Home again to show them how you celebrate their next stages of life.
May you be comforted to know that I will be thinking and praying fornyounduring this time...
Johns dad is 103 and we are now putting him into assisted living. It's painful watching them give up their independence.