Wednesday, July 8, 2015

What a difference a day (or a few days) can make…

Have you noticed how some things can go from really bad to quite lovely in a relatively short time span (with a LOT of hard work and effort, of course)?  Unfortunately, things can return to that totally dreadful state again just as quickly. 

Before:  March/Easter

DSC04209

I’m quite picky about the yard photos I blog, making sure to only post what I want to show, but at Easter the grandkids had a mini egg hunt in the back yard (we already had a real one with extended cousins).  You guessed it, these pictures of the kids having fun were shared on Liz’s blog.  I hadn’t even spent one day cleaning things up and the yard looked pretty sad.  It’s a good thing I think my grands are cute!

The three dead bushes were my failed attempt from last summer to add some winter interest to this corner of the yard.

(In my defense-We live in a four season climate and the yard is mostly ignored during the winter.)

After: May/June

image

Here’s the same space a month or so later, with a little help from Mother Nature and some faithful perennials.

Before:

image

The kids were busy opening up their eggs (eating treats) and are totally unaware of the WEEDS behind them.

Again, I was mortified!

After:

image

 

If there is one lesson life (or motherhood) has taught me, it is to never let myself relax and think things are finished.

A few days ago we had a micro storm and the yard suffered a massive set back.

After/after:

FullSizeRender

P7070125

image

P7070131

While we were in the deep cleaning business, my husband decided to prune the rest of the trees, so the whole yard was buried under branches and leaves.

Kind of a pity-party day for me!

But…

Thanks to Katie and my husband, it is now tidied up again.

The light at the end of the tunnel: the lopsided side of the tree is going to be home to a new swing.

We had wondered where to put one.

 

writing

Have a wonderful week.

JoAnn

6 comments:

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

You are so funny. I wouldn't have noticed the weeds or anything wrong with your yard because I was paying attention to the people. I also don't think the yard looked terrible but it does look so much more welcoming and inviting once everything started to grow and green up.

Stacey said...

A backyard tree swing? How fun!

I've noticed the difference in a few weeks in the yard too. Our yard is now beginning to take on the end of summer look. Even though we aren't anywhere near the end of summer for us, the season started long ago and some of my plants and flowers are getting tired.

Rosella said...

Your yard looks lovely both before (dotted with grands) and after!!! I know how you feel when the weeds are getting ahead and it's so nice to get the work done and then sit back and enjoy the view. Too bad about the storm and broken limbs - glad you were able to see the potential of this unfortunate damage! That's positive thinking for sure.

White Lace and Promises said...

Oh wow! What a beautiful yard. What a difference a season makes. So sorry about the storms but all the pruning and it will be be fabulous again in no time. I would love to sit and read in that sweet garden.

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Your garden looks beautiful! The difference just a few "new" plants make, watering and tiding up, is amazing, isn't it? I love the photos of your family, and truly didn't think another thing about the yard. Just that you are a fantastic grandmother!! xo

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

This has been an unusual spring/summer here with much rain, but everything is finally looking good and growing well. Enjoy ther rest of summer--it goes by too quickly!