Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Beginnings, endings, and a new way of shopping

Beginnings:

Our granddaughter Maddie just turned eight years old.

In our church, that is the age that most children get baptized.  They are considered to be at an age of accountability and are responsible enough to make wise choices.

Maddie chose to become a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints by being baptized.

Her mom took some really cute pictures to document the occasion.

We are very proud of her.

image

image

Endings:

My husband and I have spend the last three years serving as Inner City Missionaries in the Glendale area of Salt Lake City.  Our responsibilities were to help people find services that might help them become more self-reliant.  We didn’t take people’s problems away, but we helped them find solutions they could try.  (Did you know the phone number 211 is a wonderful resource for someone with pressing concerns?  They know all the right people to ask for help.  Anyone, anywhere should be able to call that number.)  We loved this opportunity and felt like we made some wonderful, lifelong friends.

I especially loved the older folks in the church ward.  They were quite independent and didn’t need our help, but we enjoyed visiting with them every Sunday.  They all sat together on the back row, and people passing by would all stop for a chat or a hug.

Sweet Donna is 96 and still mows her own lawn.  She never misses church.

Maybe I like her because she reminds me so much of my Grandma Palmer.

Margaret is from Scotland and has the perfect Scottish brogue.  She is also in her nineties. 

Gus leads the singing (I often played the organ) and is one of the original ward members from the early days.  His brief case was filled with candy for all the kids (and adults) who say hello.

Our service time is up, and I will really miss them all!

badges

A new way of shopping:

This picture speaks for itself.

Zachary makes every ordinary activity interesting and fun.

What beginnings, ending, or unusual activities have you experiences lately?

JoAnn

P.S.  School is getting a bit easier for me.

Knock on wood!

3 comments:

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

We sure have been busy lately haven't we? And I've decided it's a good thing you keep a blog or I'd never know any of your stories from your mission!

joyh82 said...

Beautiful kiddos, congrats to your grand daughter. What a pretty photo :)
Joy @ Books and Life

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Congratulations to Maddie on her baptism in your faith! God bless her all her life