I often feel like I’m on both sides of the school fence- as a teacher and again as a grand parent who sees my little “grands” so excited to start school. I’ve witnessed the many debates on what to wear on the first day of school, listened to the worries about making friends, and shared in the joys of buying school supplies (Yes, I have those same emotions.)
This year we have a veteran entering third grade, and two very ready kindergarteners.
We also have two who get to go to preschool. No pictures of their beginnings, yet.
I am trying to balance my role to be a fun, kind teacher, and yet teach my students how to follow directions, perform multiple procedures, and push themselves to work hard.
Can I say it has been a tough start?
I have a really large class and a few resistant rule followers.
I’ve got some students who are having anxiety at being at school.
There are two with health worries.
Some have more energy than their little bodies know what to do with, and there are those who struggle with learning and keeping up.
I keep forgetting afternoon recess, wanting to send them out at last year’s time.
Some days our cooler doesn’t work.
I feel like I’m carrying the world on my shoulders right now, and I can barely drag myself home at the end of the day.
(Hence, a postponed goal of no chocolate or soda!)
It will get easier, but for the next few weeks I’ll probably be a little more grumpy than I’d like.
I guess I’m hoping I don’t dampen their excitement in the process.
Wish me luck-I need all the patience I can find.
Oh, to be Mrs. Landers, Beaver Cleaver’s teacher!
JoAnn
P.S. Their sweet hugs and little notes are pretty good therapy for me!
3 comments:
It has been a crazy beginning this year. I'm hoping we all get into a good groove here pretty soon. I think we can, I think we can!
wishing you the best school year EVER..
Hugs
Dear JoAnn - wishing you all the best this school year and hoping things settle down as you all get used to each other! Our schools don't start till Tuesday - the day after Labour Day Monday. It always feels like this should be New Year's Day instead of Jan. 1st!
Post a Comment