Thursday, July 14, 2016

Getting used to a dog

IMG_9500

Photo collage by Liz

I’m not a pet person.

I once wrote a post about my lack of “pet love” .  You can read about it here.

(I’m not proud of this fact.)

Our granddaughter Aubrey has a new puppy, one that will eventually become a service dog to help protect her, and she sure does LOVE him!

He’s a Goldendoodle.

She named the dog “Cocoa” and he is as cute as can be.

I am now trying to get on the bandwagon to enjoy him, too, since he often comes with the kids to visit.  I’m trying to relax when he wants to play, and I’m learning to appreciate the loyalty and love that an animal can show.  (I still have a hard time with being licked and jumped on, but maybe with time…..)

My husband had to find a new way to store his pond filters since Cocoa loves to chew on them, but he created a cool hidden shelf under the deck and out of reach of a curious puppy.

We are adapting.

Am I ready to run out and buy a new pet?

Probably not.

But,

I am learning to love this new member of the family.

JoAnn

P.S.  I’m sure glad snakes aren’t used as service animals!

8 comments:

Christine said...

I understand your feelings about not wanting to get attached to a pet, especially a dog.
*WARNING:They steal your heart, without you knowing!

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

I think it will be easier to be a "pet person" once he's no longer a puppy and the chewing on everything stage ends! He really is a sweet dog though and she does love him!

Stacey said...

Uh huh, you just wait....you'll be in love. But when the mood hits please don't buy a pet. Just adopt one. :)

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes said...

I'm guessing that in time, you will be crazy about Cocoa! They have a way of working their way into your heart!

Debbie Harris said...

Haha! Cute post and in time I believe that you are going to find Cocoa to be very special. They warm the heart.

Debby Ray said...

Awwww...c'mon, you can do it! Cocoa is just adorable! :)

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

This post made me smile, Joann, as my son has two dogs and one is a large Goldendoodle. My husband feels as you do and is just not a fan of dogs, yet the goldendoodle loves him the most...lol I think he is slowly accepting this dog's affection, and I think you will too!

Pondside said...

Another beautiful example of the things that Grandmas do for the love of their grandchildren! I hope you and that curly-haired pup become friends!