Sometimes in this busy life you have to stop, step back, and make a little detour in your plans.
Getting ready for the holidays has been a challenge, to say the least. Shopping, wrapping gifts, parties, firesides, work, school gifts, neighbor gifts, recitals, cleaning, baking, and all the wonderful, yet often overwhelming activities we plan and choose to participate in keep us more than busy. Throw in a house full of recovering flu victims (of which I have managed to escape so far), a funeral, and some home projects, and the season can be down-right hectic.
Last weekend, two of my sisters planned a little special delivery surprise for our youngest sister, Julie, and her husband Travis, who has been battling liver cancer for about thirteen years and has recently been having some difficulties. At the urging of my sisters (who are much more in tune with things than I am), we left behind our long “to-do” lists, braved the cold temperatures and snow, and headed north to Idaho to deliver some Christmas packages, festive treats, and a little cheer.
We completely surprised them.
It was a lovely visit.
We shed a few tears.
Christmas magic (that REAL kind of magic) was felt by all of us.
We didn’t stay long, and I’m pretty sure they will never be able to eat all the food we brought them, but it was a detour we needed and wanted to make. (Thank you, thank you, for encouraging me to go!) It was a small gesture of love and support for a dear family who is going through some tough times.
And that is what Christmas should be more about!
JoAnn
P.S.
♥Thank you to Linda’s husband David for driving us, and for his wonderful mother Zelma for the home-made bread, hot stew, warm beds, and then again for a delicious Sunday dinner. She so reminded me of my own mother’s hosting abilities.
♥Thanks also for the bottles of home grown peaches, pears, cherries, and raspberries that Zelma sent to Julie and Travis.
(There is no comparison to delicious home bottled fruit and store bought canned fruit!)
♥ Thanks to Linda for taking the pictures of the pine trees at their in-law’s family farm, for working magic on them with special filters, and for letting me steal them for this blog. (I did try to ask for permission, but she wasn’t answering her phone.)
♥Thank you Diane for coming up with the whole idea!
♥ Thank you for your prayers for Julie, Travis, and their family!
10 comments:
You are a sweet heart and I am so glad to call you sis. "She has a nice way of writting," said Dave. So glad we made that little trip and that you could come too. Love ya♥
This is a wonderful message that I really needed to hear.
Even though we are enjoying a simple Christmas, the 'right' kind of detour is what makes things really special.
Merry Christmas!
Laura
White Spray Paint
Oh wow - this made me cry. What a wonderful thing to do for your sister! Like you said, the REAL magic of Christmas! The pictures are just beautiful also - wondering what filter Linda used - it's beautiful. All the very best to you and your family (hope everyone is feeling better) and a very Merry Christmas!
Rosella, the picture was done with a free app called prisma and the style is wave.
Thank you all for the beautiful surprise. It meant more to us than we can ever express. We are so blessed to have you wonderful sisters and your families in our lives. You lifted our spirits and filled our hearts (and tummies). We love you so much and appreciate you more than you can ever know❤️❤️️❤️️
Now, that's exactly what Cmas is all about, what a memory! Blessings abundant for the year ahead!
This is so sweet! I wish I would have read this before Christmas but it surely warmed my heart today. Many prayers for your family. :)
Dido.. would of loved to have read it before Christmas...too! I sure enjoy your post and hope all the best this day and everyday!! Hugs
That was a wonderful thing that you did for Julie and Travis and their family--the true spirit of Christmas as you appeared like the Magi, bringing gifts and cheerful company. I'm sure they appreciated it very much. I will add them to my prayers.
A happy and healthy new year to you and your family, JoAnn! xoxo
You know how to light up my life. I have always enjoyed reading about your comings and goings.
You really experienced a true Christmas message while dropping everything and visiting family.
I wrote a blog post for Christmas and it was truly my hearts desire not to be so distracted but to think of others.
http://www.mennonitegirlscancook.ca/2016/12/bread-for-journey_25.html
The best to you in the New Year.
Post a Comment