Thursday, April 16, 2009

My desperate attempt at being creative.....

I enjoy checking out my favorite blogs each evening
as I unwind from the pressures of the day.
I LOVE seeing all the bargains people find and then the great transformations that come from a can of spray paint or some cute fabric. (I wish I'd thought of that!)
I drool over all the tasty looking dishes and recipes.
I envy the cute before and after decorating projects.

I appreciate the organizational ideas.
I admire the creativity of so many bloggers.

But.....
I haven't done anything "crafty" in quite a while.
The neighborhood yard sales have come and gone -without my presence.
All my projects are unfinished (or not even started).
I'm too tired to run out and take any clever pictures.

After pondering for quite a while on what I could share (to do my part)
I came up with this little idea.
Just so you know....
I did NOT spend any money.
I reused things I found in my house.

The whole idea came about a few years ago as I was feeling the need for more giving and less spending during the Christmas season. We decided as a family to make each other one gift that didn't cost more than $1.00. I decided to recreate some puppets. (When the kids were younger I had made a set, but they had long since been destroyed.) The puppet clothes are made from old slips, towels, and scraps of fabric. I pulled apart some old jewelry and buttons for decoration. Even the panty hose were my old ones.

I think my family enjoyed my gift!

(The next year my husband made the stable
and my daughter Katie made the puppet on the right.)




We even had a Christmas Eve puppet show (behind the couch).



The show wasn't very spiritual since everyone was laughing so hard,
but maybe in a few years when we have more grandchildren......

The puppets and the puppeteers have changed a bit.....


But it was a fun idea!

5 comments:

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

It was a fun idea. I am glad you made them, even if we don't actually put on the show like we used to. I know the grandkids will enjoy them someday though.

Kelli said...

I love that! I love reading your blog, JoAnn. You are great!!

Katie said...

It looks like it was fun!

If you really want to do a race you should! They are great! I will even come and do one with you (I have wanted to come down there to do a race for a while!)

Amber said...

I love those puppets, and love seeing pictures of your kids when they are little!

Holly said...

I love this idea! I only have 3 kids, so not enough for a great Nativity re-enactment, BUT they each have two hands, so that would double our cast of characters. Thank you.