Saturday, September 5, 2009

Fun at Swiss Days....

Yesterday I went with my friends Sheila and Peggy to Midway, Utah,

to the Swiss Days Festival.


Midway is a beautiful community in a valley surrounded by mountains that reminded the early settlers of their beloved Switzerland. It is a mix of farm land, resorts, cabins, old pioneer buildings, and expensive new houses. It is rural living at its best.
(My husband's family settled in near by Heber City.)
(photo from Google.com)

This picture was painted by Eric Dowdle, a local folk artist.



The Swiss flag.

Sheila and Peggy

There were lots of craft booths (and a lot of people window shopping).


Food booths included Swiss tacos (on hot scones), brott sandwiches, Swiss chicken, Swiss hamburgers (?), pie and ice cream, home made candy and fudge, etc.
We had a hard time deciding what to eat, but enjoyed the Swiss tacos we ended up choosing.

We saw some fun Halloween and Christmas decorations.


One booth had a huge, giant bow on top to draw people in.

There was entertainment and a lot of "people watching" opportunities.
I think they have thousands attend.


I bought his witch's shoe. I think it will look cute on my mantle, or in a wreath.
What do you think?

It was a fun day.

6 comments:

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

Looks like you had a lot of fun. I have to admit you probably chose the right route by staying home this weekend instead of coming to my house. I would have put you to work! But don't worry... I will get you monday!

Lacey said...

I have always wanted to go to Swiss days. It looks like it was lots of fun! I really like your witches shoe, it looks like a perfect Halloween decoration for your home. :)

meg said...

I love Swiss Days!! Glad you got to go! I LOVE the witches shoe! I love the witches boot, so much I made one from last year. :) Looks like you were there at a good time, not too many people...I can see grass in some of those pictures!

Katie said...

I have never actually got to go to swiss days, but have always thought that it looked like fun! After seeing your pictures i'm going to have to plan a trip there next year!

Marg said...

What a fun day with the gals.
I love the witches shoe...Our family just saw the musical "Wicked" and I keep telling them that I'm the Wicked Witch in our family and all I need is he Hat....Well now, I know where I can get the shoe...also..I have the broom stick already.
Guess how I'll decorate my home this year for Halloween?

Small House said...

Channel 2 talked about this the other day. I thought it looked like so much fun! And it looks like it was. Glad you could get away with a couple friends and have a little fun.
Sandra