Thursday, September 30, 2010

A short update.....

Dear Blogging Friends,
     I am writing today from Leesburg, Virginia.  Our trip to Washington has had some unexpected twists and turns and unfortunately, some tragedy. 
     My sister Julie and I arrived last Thursday to stay with her son Shane, his wife Holly. and baby Preston while they ran the Ragnar Relay Race. It was such an exciting time for all of us.  Shane and Holly left early Friday morning with their team, excited and ready for an adventure, while Julie, Preston, and Lou (Julie's sil who just moved here 3 weeks ago) and I headed off to explore a beautiful part of the world called Harper's Ferry, West Virginia.  It was a beautiful, hot, fall day. 
     We enjoyed the beautiful drive through the rolling hills and then had so much fun exploring the quaint, little village that reminded Lou so much of her dear England, with all the old stone buildings, rock walls, and tiny shops.  Preston was such a little trouper and let us linger in the shade of the little restaurant built back against the ivy covered stone walls. 
     There is never a good time for a tragedy, but when you get those phone calls that break your heart you never forget where you were or what you were doing.  We were at a little Civil War museum when Julie heard that Shane had passed away during his race.  He was young, healthy, and fit.  The race was just getting a good start.  These things shouldn't happen!  It was unreal!  The medical examiner figured it was his heart and that it happened suddenly.  I won't go into details, but we were devestated!
     The next few days were a blur of sadness, making plans, and supporting each other.  We helped pack up a life full of promise- for one of uncertainty.  It was a heartbreaking experience.
     The Lord does indeed show forth His tender mercies during such times and we had so many sweet experiences and helpful "angels" who ministered over us.  The world has many good, kind, and helpful people (other than those who work at the Metro!).  Blessings do come.  Prayers are heard. 
     Shane, who had been attending George Mason Law School, was one of those people whom everyone loved.  He was smart, hard working, friendly, religious, and kind.  He loved his wife and adored his son.  I'm sure his life and influence will be far reaching.     
     Holly, his sweet wife, is a pillar of strength.  Her faith and courage strengthened all of us.  She has the assurance that she and Shane will be together eternally and that life will be okay. 
     Julie flew home on Tuesday and I have been staying with Lou and her family.  They have been so kind to take me in and help me experience some of the sights of this beautiful city.  Tomorrow I will return home.  We will attend the funeral on Saturday.
Thank you to all who have prayed for us and offered support.  It has helped!  I am so grateful for my belief in eternal life and a loving Father in Heaven! 
     ♥
JoAnn

P.S.  Holly we stole this picture from your blog. Hope you don't mind.

8 comments:

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

I'm so sorry that your trip didn't turn out quite like you would have imagined. BUT I am so grateful you were there for Julie. What a hard experience for all of us to bare. I truly am grateful for eternal families though.

Lacey said...

I was just so shocked when I heard the sad news... my heart breaks for Holly and Preston, and Shane's whole family. He sounds like such an amazing person, and I'm sure that he's already hard at work on the other side. I'm so thankful to the knowledge of eternal families and to know that you will indeed see and be with him again. Your family is in our prayers.

Michelle said...

The world is a little less bright without Shane in it. He was truly a wonderful person and will be greatly missed! His adventures on Earth may be over, but his journey is just beginning.

bBchronicles said...

Could not get through this without crying my eyes out as a mother and grandmother! The gospel gives such strength in such trying/hard times. So, so tragic - my prayers are with your family. Hang tight!

Marg said...

Oh my dear friend...my heart ached when you with this post...I new you were gone...and then I saw a short update...Ouch...I can't imagine...but to know that he had salvation is so divine...We will continue to pray for all of you, for Holly who will need her time to grieve. It's in times like this we can turn to God and know he is there for mankind.

Beth at Aunties said...

There are no words to express the many feelings your post brought. I am so sorry for Shane's sweet little family and all who loves him. What a huge shock.
You are in and were in one (Harper's Ferry) of my favorite places on this earth when you heard the tragic news. I can not imagine. I am so glad you were with your sister.
All three of our son's have lived in VA while going to school just as Shane was. Our oldest son is still there.
The saints are amazing there and I can imagine the out pouring of love. Holly and his family are in my prayers.~♥

Holly said...

I am so sorry to hear about this. It is simply heartbreaking.

Elizabeth said...

Oh, what a sad story. What a shock! I am sorrier than I can say. I pray that this experience will somehow work to bring your whole extended family closer together and closer to the Lord.

I am originally from back East and know Leesburg and, especially, Harpers Ferry very well.

I hope you and your family are doing better.