Thursday, February 24, 2011

Thankful for flowers and small friends…..

DSCF5993
First off,
I don’t have anything new or exciting to show you.  (I need to carry my camera with me more often, AND I need to do more exciting things.)
So…
I’m showing you a few pictures of my beautiful geraniums.   Every fall I dread seeing them become victims of Jack Frost.  It seems like it takes all summer for them to get pretty- just in time for winter to kill them off.
DSCF5983
I’ve started taking them to school with me in September, and now they have a winter home on the window ledge  in my classroom.
(Does that mean they are “Snow Bunnies”?)
I love the color and the vitality they bring to my second home. (Yes, I spend as many hours there as I do at my house!)
cropped
Now,
About those small friends…..
While many of you go to lunch or out shopping with your good friends, I spend most of my days with people who are about four feet tall.  I have found that they are interesting and loyal friends, too. 
Here are just a few examples:
“Mrs. Clegg, can I tell you something?  I liked your old hair style better.” 
Or this little note I found on my desk- “Mrs. Clegg, you are so pritty and I love your hair.”
(Note, these came from two different students!)
This morning I found a big, red apple on my desk.
Sort of like this one.
apple-full
I really enjoy my associations with these pre- adults.  At times they can be frustrating, but they are sincere in the things they say- for good or bad.  They always have a big smile or hug for me (and for any adult or teacher they see).
Well,
There you have it.
I really am thankful for flowers and small friends!
JoAnn

6 comments:

Irene said...

I'm glad you have some pretty flowers to get you through this winter. I miss the hugs from students, they are sweet.

Lacey said...

I love your flowers! And your small friends sound like the kind of friends we all need to keep us smiling. :)

Mimi Sue said...

Great idea. This year I put a couple of pots of geraniums in a basement window. We'll see if they make it through the winter or not. I worked in the school nurse's office in an elementary school for 17 years. I miss the sweet little gifts, art work and hugs from the kids. Mimi

Anonymous said...

Little kids can be so sweet. Working in first grade I get very random presents from students. They give things like homemade jewelry, pictures, toys, and dirty candy right from their pocket. One kid even game me a Silly Band because he noticed, and was shocked, that I did not have any. If you are ever having a bad day they can cheer you up with one hug or sweet comment.

Katie C.

linda said...

Gotta love their honest comments and unconditional friendship. My neighbor teaches school and she asks me for my flowers every fall. I am sure her room at school looks just as charming. What a great idea.

Marg said...

You know, that I take my hat off to you at the best of times. You are so committed to your family and your class mates. There is no higher calling than that.
Just so you know, I'm helping edit my daughter's report cards..I always help her with that...fun stuff.