Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Beautiful music...food for the soul

I love music.

I spent many years taking piano lessons and I sang in school choirs.
(I should add that I took lessons for so many years because I didn't really practice very much and it took me a long time to sort of master the skill-plus my mother wouldn't let me quit.)

Besides,
we always got out of Sunday dish duty if we would play the piano while our mother, Grandmother, and Aunt Mardene slaved away in the kitchen.  They loved music, too, and as they were standing at the sink we would hear their words of encouragement (or that we were missing a sharp or a flat) to keep us going. 

 Music seems to create a short cut to my emotions.
Whenever I have had a bad day or feel frustrated, a few minutes of listening to a beautiful melody can unlock my feelings and set my emotions free.  


 
If you love beautiful music check out this recording of Andrea Bocelli and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.
It is beautiful!
(Thanks, Travis, for sharing the link!)

JoAnn
P.S.  If you want to see a funny video of two little girls having a singing competition, check out Liz's blog here.

P.P.S.  Thanks to my mother for her patience with me!




4 comments:

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

You know what's funny... I never realized I was so much like my mother. The whole not being very good at practicing thing and the whole your mom wouldn't let you quit thing ring so true for me too :) I'm glad you pushed me to practice and to develop my skills. I still regret not getting better at the piano than I am but I appreciate that I can sit down and figure out how to play a song- if I set my mind to it. I love music. Thanks for sharing your love with me.

Michelle said...

I still remember you yelling out "that's sharp" or "that's not right" from the other room. That's funny that your mom used to do that with you. We may have complained about practicing but I'm grateful I had the opportunity to learn all kinds of amazing music. I can't imagine a world without music!

Marg said...

Oh Joanne...I just opened up another window to your blog...just so I could hear Andrea sing and give you my thoughts...as shivers are sent up and down my spine. You know that I love Andrea...and went past his home town in Italy two years ago...and to sing in your tabernacle...I still feel so cheezed off that we had speed through your city...but I know there will be another time..
Ave Maria was part of my processional at my wedding...
I love music, piano and I took up to Grade 8 conservatory...
I saw tickets for Josh Groban coming to Vancouver this fall...but very expensive...I'd rather wait and see Andrea Bocelli
It's finished and I'm still chatting away...I love David Foster..he too is an amazing musician.
Anyways I will continue to listen to this special piece and keep you in my thoughts.
Today I had to give a tribute to our volunteers and I used the orchestra and conductor as my visual picture of how the volunteers all work harmoniously together.
Music is so beautiful..as you said it touches the heart.

Mimi Sue said...

I love Andrea Bocelli. We have a few of his CD's. Music really is such a huge part of our culture. Have a great conference weekend. Mimi