We have been working on this little bedroom for most of the summer. First, we painted it a bold color (Rhythm and Blues by Benjamin Moore). Robbie and Liz pushed me to go two shades darker on the color card (I’m a wimp), but I think it does work well against the white wood. And….it is growing on me. Then we added the bead board. We already had the book shelves, but Ken lined the back of them with the wood, too. It looks more finished than it did before.
We filled the shelves with some of our old teenage books and mementos. These dolls were a gift to the girls from Ken’s parents when they returned from an LDS mission in Nigeria and Ghana way back in 1980.
I found this little statue at Hobby Lobby on clearance for $3.00 and couldn’t resist. It reminded me of some of my students who have come here as refugees from Africa.
Old books take me back to my early teenage years.
This picture just makes me happy.
A little sewing machine table got reinvented.
We took out the machine (which didn’t work) and painted the wood.
The color isn’t quite right for the room, but the tight budget dictates that I like it anyway (at least for awhile).
We had a head board on the bed, but it was too tall for the book shelves, so we took it off. I still need to add a big pillow sham, some other fun pillows, and a dust ruffle. The bed spread came from Home Goods. I love the bright colors.
The closet is now a craft/gift wrapping/project storage center.
YEAH!
Someday I would like all matching storage containers (I’m a dreamer), but what I have works. I wanted a rod to hold all the wrapping ribbon, but my husband had a better idea with the little dowels. That way you don’t have to take every thing off to replace a roll.
Wrapping paper is easy to reach in this tall garbage can.
And now you don’t see it.
It all hides behind these doors.
We replaced the really old (translated:UGLY) carpet with laminate wood from Home Depot. It was on sale. (One of the best “Hits” of the room!)
I borrowed the lamp from another room and it needs to be replaced. We would still like to add a rug.
BUT…
The room is now a comfortable place to work on a project, escape with a good book, or host a small guest over night.
Maybe you should come for a visit!
JoAnn
10 comments:
Looks great, JoAnn! I also can't wait to see your play house. You guys have been busy!
I love the color! I think the room turned out very cute. It definitely looks like a whole new room.
It looks great JoAnn!
I really like it. The table looks great with yellow. Adds a touch of eccentric taste. It looks great. Carolyn
It is so cute! I love the colors! Do you find yourself sitting in the new chair enjoying it? It makes me want to paint something! (The new Home Goods store opens in Murray tomorrow morning at 8 a.m. We should go:)
Maybe you will find a rug!
I love this room! I may come visit and just curl up with a book in the corner!
The room looks awesome! You have such a talent for decorating houses... if I didn't know any better I'd guess that you are an interior designer!
What a darling room! I love it! You guys are always doing fun projects. So cute!
Your guest and hobby room looks so pretty JoAnn! I love the built in bookshelves and your book collection. I still have many of my childhood books and I'm saving them for my grandchildren to read. I actually re-read Pollyanna a week ago and I might read another favorite, Heidi, again before summer is over. I love the bedspread you found at HomeGoods--it goes so well with the blue walls and I think a few yellow throw pillows would tie it in perfectly with the sewing table! The yellow table adds such cheerfulness to the room. The best feature of all is the wonderful closet! I'd love a coordinated place like that to hold all my wrapping paper supplies and craft items!
You did a fantastic job of those renos. I like your creativity in the closet. My husband did something similar for me. We sure can't live without them can we?
What a beautiful room. It looks like I would feel so welcome.
Post a Comment