Friday, November 4, 2011

Age, it’s all relative!

This has been a very long week and tonight I am feeling my age!

(Halloween and school children require a lot of energy!  Several days after Halloween is still not much better.)

When I start feeling those aches and pains that didn’t used to be part of my body; when the mirror isn’t as kind as it used to be; when I see old friends who now look like their parents; I realize that I am a part of the “Seniors” who qualify for discounts at restaurants (which is not a bad thing), reserved parking places closer to the door, and are the main targets of funeral home ads and medical equipment.

  I’m not sure I’m ready for that. 

Some people age gracefully and never lose their zest for living.

My mother-in-law just celebrated a birthday and she is a great example for all of us.  She still gets up, dresses, goes to church, and comes clear across town for Sunday dinner.  She loves to hold the babies and listen to the kids play.

 

cake

grandma and aubrey

(Naomi and Aubrey)

Little kids seem to have all the energy and enthusiasm we wish we had. 

Little Brooklyn just turned two.

DSC07159b2

In just over a week I will have a birthday, too.

I can’t say I’m excited, but it is better than the alternative.

Now, I just need to get a better attitude!

“Grow old with me!  The best is yet to be.”  ~Robert Browning

Joann

2 comments:

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

I love all of those pictures. I personally am excited for your birthday. To me, it just means it's time to get presents... who wouldn't love birthdays? Besides you don't actually all of a sudden age a year on your birthday, it's happening all year long :)

Pondside said...

Your mother-in-law is beautiful - and I can see where the little ones get those eyes!
I have just spent a couple of days with my parents, and my dad isn't well. It is such an inspiration to watch Mum and Dad together, caring for one another - an example of love and faith for the three generations after them. A couple of times this week Mum has told me that getting old has its difficulties but that it was better than the alternative!