Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Simple Joys of Christmas…

When decorating for the holidays who doesn’t  love the glitter, shine, and glow of festive Christmas ornaments; the bright, twinkly lights of decorated trees; and polished crystal , silverware, and china (that only come out of the cupboard on rare occasions)?  There is magic in seeing Christmas as a colorful reflection in the window or in the delicate ornaments hanging on the tree.  It is fun to dress up the house for company and parties.

2010_1130PreChristmas0026

But…

Some of my favorite holiday decorations are the simple ones.

It is  nice  having some earthy, homey textures and objects in your home, too.

One thing I really enjoy is using this little lap quilt on our table.   I love the textures, colors, and atmosphere it gives the room. 

2010_1130PreChristmas0038

Another favorite thing would be our puppets, made out of things found around the house.  Check out their history here and here.

1

This little wooden (kid friendly) Nativity set is also fun.

 

2010_1130PreChristmas0076

Some other simple pleasures I love include pinecones, greenery, popcorn, and cranberries.  Our early married life consisted of only those kinds of things, and there was still Christmas magic.

What are some of your non-fancy favorite Christmas decorations?

JoAnn

P.S. I must be getting older.  Every Christmas I use a bigger font than the year before!

5 comments:

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

I love your decorations. Comfort and peace, that's what they bring.

Pondside said...

The year that our son was born, 31 years ago, I handmade an angel for the tree top and a pile of little angels to hang on the tree. They were made from scraps of velvet and lace. Last year, when I took the tree down I kept the tree top angel and one hanging angel. I divided up the rest and gave them to our son and daughter. I'd say that the angels are my favorite old, un-fancy decorations.

Anonymous said...

Now that I am an adult I appreciate a classier looking Christmas tree with white lights and newer, nicer ornaments. However, some of my best Christmas memories are of sitting around our small tree with colored lights and ornaments of all shapes, sizes, ages and quality. As children we loved imitating the ornaments on the tree and having others guess which one we were. Those childhood memories are priceless.

Katie C.

linda said...

I think you should write a book. (Random, but that was my first thought as I sat here to make a comment.) I enjoy reading your posts. I love being in a room with nothing but the tree lights on and a fire. I gave my kids their dated Christmas ornaments. Pulling them out each Christmas would bring back memories of why I picked that particular ornament that year. Maybe they actually meant more to me than to them. Just had a thought that maybe I'd start doing that for Grandkids.

Marg said...

I like your decor of Christmas...some of the earliest things that I share are the things I made myself prior to my children being born...when there was lots of time.
I still use those simple things.
And I have a real collection of skier teddy bears that I have collected over the years and they all line up on our mantel.
I also made some beautiful straw stars in my early years.
Yes, those were the years.