In keeping with the “theme” of my last few posts, about getting out in the fresh air (in an open, moving vehicle) and belting out familiar tunes from my youth, I made a feeble attempt this last weekend to fulfill that desire.
My sister Linda and I drove to Preston to visit our Aunt Mardene who was recovering from cataract surgery (and our sister Diane). Mardene lives alone, but is such a determined and independent person. She needed a little help putting all the eye drops in, but other than that she was doing great.
We decided to take her for a country ride. It is sort of a tradition in our family to drive around Cache Valley and look at all the pretty places. We drool over some of the hidden farms nestled against the hills and always fall madly in love with any aging barn. If the farm has a white fence around it we can’t get enough of it.
We headed a few miles east to the “town” of Franklin, located right on the Utah-Idaho border. (In our world, a small community is called a town and a creek is called a river.) Franklin was the very first settlement in Idaho and you can see the 1860 on the mountain. The town is also famous for La Tienda, the service station/restaurant/convenience store that sells lottery tickets (to all the Utah people).
This is the little mountain we climbed every Easter along with all our cousins. We would hike up to the cave at the top and then roll our Easter eggs down the mountain.
(That could have been a lot of deviled eggs instead!)
This lovely place is for sale!
Wouldn’t it be a nice spot to live?
However, this one is more in my budget!
Don’t you love the variety of the scenery?
Here are a few more shots.
It is kind of a sad scenario that instead of a riding in an open Mustang convertible we had to settle for an old mini van with the door wide open, but Linda did a good job hanging out to take pictures.
We might or might not have sung any Beetles songs.
Still, it was a good day!
JoAnn
10 comments:
hahaha, you crack me up. I love your little budget shack. I really love all of these photo's. You guys did a great job at capturing the beauty of Cache Valley. Absolutely beautiful!
I'm so glad you got to spend a weekend in the beautiful countryside with you sister. The pictures are beautiful.
And I'm just tootin and rootin alongside as you go...
We just spent the night in Seattle where the Beatles stayed when the first came to Seattle many years ago.
How fun! I love your farmland. It's so beautiful, perfect and pristine.
I love the wide openness of the west, and those beautiful mountains! It is so different from what I see everyday.
Sounds like a perfect day. I didn't realize, until moving away from UTAH, how beautiful it is there.
I have been to all those places you mentioned.
I also had a roomate from Preston........a LONG time ago, when Ricks College, was RICKS.
What a beautiful and relaxing drive! That house that's for sale is beautiful, and the one that would be in my price range just has so much character! :)
That was such a fun little trip! You also took some great pictures. I want to frame some of them!
I love Cache Valley in the spring! I think you've found yourself a nice little fixer upper! Something to do when you retire...Mimi
What gorgeous, rugged countryside. Even in a mini-van, this must have been a lot of fun.
I'm with you on the smaller place - heh - it has potential!
i bet you two had a blast. thanks for taking me there with your pictures.
Post a Comment