Boy, has it been cold in Utah!
Last week at our church we had a little demonstration/lesson on being prepared for the “unexpected”, which could include severe weather, natural disasters, and other safety concerns. Our country has certainly had a fair share of disasters during this last year, and we do live in earth quake country (right along the Wasatch Fault line!), so we’re kind of targets for something.
I realized that while I have some supplies on hand, I’m pretty unprepared for anything “big”.
So…
I decided this would be a good January project for me-getting more prepared.
Since it is a huge task to undertake (and Christmas decorations are only partly put away), I decided to do it in stages.
Don’t you love how his hat makes his little ears stick out?
Project Number One: The car
I decided to start from an article from AAA.com entitled,
“Your Car….Winter is here. What’s in your trunk?”
Here is a list of items to keep in your truck besides the spare tire and jack (naturally)
1. A change of clothes
(Socks, gloves, hats, long johns, old shoes or boots, etc.)
2. kitty litter
(A handful around each tire can help with traction if your car gets stuck in snow or ice. Non-clumping kitty litter works best.)
3. Food and water
(At least a gallon of water and packages of high-calorie dried foods, such as energy bars)
4. Emergency Kit
(Include things like a flashlight, batteries, utility knife, bungee cords, a first-aid kit, and other items)
5. Blankets
(Thick wool ones are best. Even garbage bags can help trap body heat and are waterproof. I pulled out a few old sleeping bags to keep in our trunk.)
6. Collapsible shovel
(If you need to dig yourself out, it could come in handy.
They reminded us that if we get stuck in a remote area to remain in our vehicle. Search and rescue will start looking for the car first.
Another good tip our teacher shared was to always keep your car filled above the half tank line. In a real emergency, lines at gas stations could be huge, and if you needed to leave the area you would want to have gas!
It would also be helpful if you had some cash stored. They suggested small bills because large bills might be hard to cash.
I found a big plastic tub on sale at Shopko and I have been filling it with some of the items listed above. I’m not finished yet, but I do have a good start.
As I get more organized I’ll post some pictures of my project.
I love this scripture:
“…but if ye are prepared ye shall
not fear.”
D&C 38:30
JoAnn
P.S. What items do you keep in your car?
Check out this link to AAA.com:
http://exchange.aaa.com/safety/roadway-safety/winter-driving-tips/
6 comments:
Yeah.... We need to get more prepared ourselves. Ourcar is full of junk, I just don't know if it would be usefull junk...
I already have a shovel and blanket in my car, but I really need to get the rest of the items on the list. You never know where you will be when disaster strikes. It is smart to have these important items in your car.
Katie C.
We are believers in preparation too. Just this morning we had another earthquake - a reminder! I always keep the car between half full and full - we never know where we'll be in the case of an emergency.
OH MAN...I've got so much preparing to do. SO MUCH
sorry my dear....can't feel too sorry for you and your cold.
That's just pretty much a regular day around my parts.
(tee,hee)
This week you guys have even been COLDER then us however and I had to snicker.
Ah, yes, I know what you mean...We just had our third earthquake in the last three months...They have been warning us of the BIG ONE!
Yesterday we drove through some snowy passes...I had most things along except a flashlight...
We always have that next list on our mind. Enjoy the New Year.
Hurricane Sandy taught me many lessons this past summer. My husband was very glad he had filled the gas tank the day before when all the storm warnings were coming. Winter storms bring new issues and your list is a good one. One thing I'd add is a wind up radio/flashlight combination. LL Bean sells one. It is helpful to find out news and have a working light without worrying about batteries.
It has been nice catching up with you this evening, Joann!
Post a Comment