Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Messes, mud, and a laundry room makeover

MichelleHeidi mud

(Heidi and Michelle playing in the mud.)

Dirt goes back a long way at our house.

(Apparently, even before gardening skills were developed.)

When my children were young they all loved playing outside, and that included digging in the dirt, making water features, and combining the two for an extra special punch.

I’m not one to have suggested such mess-making adventures, but over the years I have seen my share of dirty children.

We’ve had cooking disasters,

science projects gone awry,

egg tosses,

saw dust/sheet rock air-pollution-fall-out,

spills,

cosmetic make-up experimenting,

grass stains,

mud pie bakeries,

and the list goes on!

image

Our grand-daughter Aubrey continues the tradition by eating her first birthday cake.)

Which brings me to my laundry room.

Yes, I’ve spent a lot of time there!

We retired our old washer and dryer right after Christmas.  (It qualified for hazardous duty!)  While we had the room empty, my husband put in some new floor tiles and painted the walls.

I found a cute, bright new rug at Target.

I also picked up a few “decorative accessories”. (We deserve to be happy where we spend so much time, right?)

A flu bug derailed the finished project, but I will share pictures soon.

“Life is made up of marble and mud.”

-Nathaniel Hawthorne

Don’t we all have laundry nightmares?

JoAnn

6 comments:

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

We sure do know how to get dirty in our family. :) can't wait to see the big reveal.

Pondside said...

Oh yes, there have been laundry room disasters - inadequate machines in dank cellars at the bottom of rickety stairs. No matter how long we've been in this house I never get over the pleasure of a bright and airy laundry room.

Mimi Sue said...

Might as well have a pretty laundry room. I spend a lot of time in there too. (although not as much as I used to!) When my kids were little they had a playhouse in our backyard that they "painted" with mud. Inside. Not fun to clean up! Love that family history book. I really need to do something with our old pictures too before I forget. Mimi

Marg said...

That was a cute post. That is so true...the stains that we need to remember and those that get washed and scrubbed away. We've all been there and it makes me smile as I think of the laundry room.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I'd love to see your laundry makeover as I was contemplating doing the same today. My laundry room is very plain and I'd love to make it pretty!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

PS I can't believe Aubrey is already one year old! Happy birthday to her!