Do you have family sayings,
or little phrases that get used a lot in your home?
Or even things that might be interpreted a little differently by your family than by others?
Whenever one of us says something not quite accurate or correct someone will always reply back with,
“Two twenty, two twenty-one. Whatever it takes.”
The real quote from the movie “Mr. Mom” goes like this:
Jack Butler: No problem. Come on over here Ron. Let me show you what I'm doing, taking advantage of some of the time off. To, uh, add a whole new wing on here. Gonna rip these walls out and, uh, of course re-wire it.
Ron Richardson: Yeah, you gonna make it all 220?
Jack Butler: Yeah, 220, 221. Whatever it takes.
When I think about advice my parents always sent us off with I am reminded to “Wear clean underwear.” (In case you get in an accident.)
“Always return home with the person you went with.”
“Carry a dime to call home in an emergency.”
(Yes, I am pre-cell phone age.)
“If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.”
“Honesty is the best policy.”
“Be kind. Don’t leave anyone out.”
Many times I would send my kids off to bed with,
“Good Night. Sleep tight. Don’t let the bed bugs bite.”
(Not sure how that last part encouraged sound sleeping.)
How many of us have been told to eat our dinner. “Just think of all the starving kids in China.” (I think the country part changed over the years, but when I was young it was China.)
Well, last night I got a phone call from some of my daughters who were out shopping. They had found a wall hanging they thought would be perfect for our family room.
Would I like them to buy it?
How could I resist?
Now, when they come to visit I won’t have to preach, nag, or offer any unwanted advice.
I’ll just tell them to go read the wall!
What sayings does your family use?
Have a great weekend!
JoAnn
P.S. It is snowing here in Utah again!
6 comments:
Haha. Reading this post made me giggle. I always thought it was funny when you told us not to leave the house without clean underwear. And I still remember you and dad coming in to say the goodnight phrase to me everynight at bedtime. I have continued this tradition with my own girls and they love it. The bed bug part and all. Then I pretend to eat them like I were a bug. They giggle and my heart melts every time. It's a great way to forget about the picture that was drawn all over my couch with pen just hours before bed or the sassy talk that comes from tired children.
Well your daughters know to well about the rules. I wonder if the next generation has rules like that today and what would they look like?
Yes, my mom used similar quotes also.
At least now you don't need to repeat them to your grands...they can just read the wall for themselves.
I have seen variations of that sign before...good idea, GO LOOK AT the wall.
I like that a lot! We have lots of sayings in our house too. Many of them that you mentioned are said here.
One phrase that springs immediately to mind:
"I been a-lookin' fer yew" ... or a close approximation thereof, which is what a neighbour used to say to my husband when he was a small boy. And the family seems to have adopted it so that now, we all say it whenever we can't find the person we seek.
I love it! Everyone needs family rules. Now you don't have to nag! Mimi
Post a Comment