I’ve mentioned before that my family is unconventional.
Part of the reason is that our families are growing and getting together is not an easy task. Every year it seems to get harder and harder to accommodate all the different schedules.
Did I also mention that a four hour drive is required to get from my sister’s house on the North to the sister’s home at the South end (me)?
Because of this fact, and since we still enjoy sharing holidays and special events, we combine many activities into one big event. Since everyone brings their whole family, and no one wants to be left out, we just let everyone be included in the fun.
After our first combined event, I innocently remarked that, “I like having showers with men!” and the phrase stuck.
And that is how “showers with men” became a reality in our family..
We have learned that if everyone brings a salad and a dessert we have enough food to feed everyone who shows up, and a lot of variety., plus no one has to do all the work. We also have enough left over for later. Sometimes we have someone fix a meat dish, too.
Playing shower games is replaced by lawn games, visiting, or chasing kids. The men have learned to patiently “ooh and aah” as gifts are opened, and the honorees share the spotlight. (Yes, it would be more fun to be the only one honored, but it isn’t very realistic any more.)
We recently had a fun-filled “shower-shower-birthday-birthday-Memorial-Day party”.
These three are getting married soon.
My niece Amy is on the left, and Brittany and Robbie (our son and his fiancé) are on the right.
Here is a rare shot of some of the kids actually staying in one place.
It was an untraditional, but fun day!
Happy Birthday Diane and Chris!
Thanks Linda and Dave for sharing your beautiful yard.
(Sorry I didn’t get pictures of everyone who was there. We missed those of you who couldn’t make it, too!)
JoAnn
P.S. Does your family have any uncommon traditions that your have created?
7 comments:
I too like our showers with men. :) really I just love spending time with all our family. I wish everyone didn't live so far apart. And that people would stop moving away for med school (Joanna!). We do have a great family. And you can always count on gaining weight after one of those parties too. Too many good cooks in our family.
Any excuse to get together is the best way it works. We have many unconventional traditions. I try to go with the flow, men or no men. It's about connecting with family and friends and you are so good at it.
In THIS day and age....is there really a "traditional". Sometimes we just have to find what works for families, especially when you live distances apart.
I remember when I lived in West Jordan...we had a HUGE amount of family members with birthdays in Sept. so we held ONE BIG GIGANTIC celebration for all of them.
It ended up being a wonderful, looked forward to kind of time.
We all try to get together and SHARE the good times with as many as we can WHEN WE CAN.
That's what I've learned.
Tradition.....is what we make it
I love your "untraditional" showers with men!! Just getting together and using any excuse to do so sounds right to me. Your party looks delightful - love the umbrellas and festive lanterns, not to mention the yummy looking food!
I'm glad we're not the only family that's having trouble getting together. Seems like the more people there are the harder it gets! I say anything goes! Mimi
Oh wow, the food all looks wonderful! I think having the whole family get together is wonderful for a shower.
You know, when you leave me comments, I always realize that it doesn't seem like your blog shows up in my feed list. I am a follower..I'll try to watch better. ;)
I also like "showers with men," JoAnn and my husband and son and son-in-law stayed for both my daughter-in-law's shower and my daughter's shower ;)
Post a Comment