Sunday, February 23, 2014

Art, hand-me-downs, and changing my mind

My last post was about trying to create a watercolor from a snap shot using an i-pad app.    Rosella from the blog Rhubarb and Roses kindly shared the names of two apps that she knew about. 

She suggested one called Waterlogue and another called Mobile Monet.  I hope to try them both. 

(I really appreciate her tip.  Thanks!)

Even though this is a fun project, nothing compares to REAL art (even if it is a poster or a copy version) of the master painters.  While we have amazing technology to change, edit, enlarge, and reproduce art, they had the insight and extraordinary talent to actually create it.

One of my favorite styles of art is French Impressionism, and I’ve mentioned before how much I like the art of Claude Monet (1840-1926).

While we were in the process of redoing our bedroom, we chose a Monet to hang on our wall.  We ordered a copy of “The Artist’s Garden in Argenteuil”  on line.  We paid a little bit more to have a framed canvas, but the price was still very reasonable and the shipping was free.

(Buying nice frames, non-glare glass, and mats can add up, so it was a good deal.)

We also lucked out that it was on a two day sale.

It finally came and I really do like it.

image

It seems to go well above the little gray chair.

(This shot is for you, Holly!)

image

The red dresser was one of those hand-me-down pieces that we acquired when we got married.  It was passed to us from Ken’s sister’s husband’s parents.  Over the years it has changed color a few times (it was originally blond wood, which we didn’t like), but it is a solid piece of furniture.  We did change out the knobs on the drawers.

Yes, the red color is bright.

Maybe it’s next paint color life will be a more muted shade.

As we were hanging the Monet, we noticed that EVERY SINGLE THING hanging on our walls was black and rectangular in shape.

Everything. 

(Even the mirror above the dresser.)

We painted the mirror red, and found an oval mirror we already had to change out for one of the black rectangles.

Before:

image

After:

image

It’s hard to tell from the picture, but the little mirror even matches the finish on the lamps, so it was a win-win change.

If you want to see the original post of the bedroom redo, go here.

While our decorating style (or lack of) may not follow the rules, our humble home is our castle.

We’ve spent many years working on it, one project at a time.  I look at the decorating shows and marvel that the home buyers can change out everything they don’t like all at once!

We are so grateful to have a warm, cozy place to live.

Do you change your mind as you decorate, too?

JoAnn

I took an online decorating style quiz that I found on

21 Rosemary Lane.

My style is 33% traditional, 33% cabin, and 34% Nantucket.  Sounds like a strange combination to me!

 

12 comments:

Stacey said...

Your room is beautiful! I love the bedding you chose. It's neat that you've repainted that piece of furniture over the years.

Thank you for your sweet comment about my laundry room. :)

Holly said...

I love it! Keep the house posts coming! Always my favorite!

Kelli said...

Beautiful! I love it! I love the red dresser. Everything looks so great! Good work.

White Lace and Promises said...

I absolutely love the red dresser. Great piece for sure. It reminds me of my parents furniture they had and we sold it at the estate sell. Makes me mad that we did that! ugh! It had great bones and would have been a great piece to keep in the family.

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

I absolutely LOVE how your room turned out. So are you ready to come help fix up my room now???

The Gathering Place said...

I love your bedroom! I just took the test. My results: 43% Traditional Country,29% Nantucket style and 28% classic. That was fun but I was suprised at the Nantucket. I need to go back and read more about it. I like change every week or so. haha
Auntie Linda

Rosella said...

Your Monet is beautiful - nothing like the real thing! I love your bedroom makeover and the red dresser. We've been trying to decide what colour to paint our bedroom (after 30 yrs of "ivory" - ugh). What colour did you use on the walls? It's nice!

Art and Sand said...

I LOVE your bedspread and shams - the color and the pattern both.

I have to go check out the quiz.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I like the color red and your dresser looks so pretty in that color. The Monet painting goes so well win your room as the flowers in it highlight your colors.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

PS: My decorating style was "Arts and Crafts" I guess living in Colorado has also rubbed off me that way!

Mimi Sue said...

Your bedding is so pretty and I love the color of the dresser. I think if you like something, use it. Who cares about what other people think you should do! Mimi

Stacey said...

Just came by to say hi and to thank you for the comment about the clothes I posted yesterday. Isn't the change of seasons inspiring when it comes to clothes?