Monday, March 31, 2014

Blame it on the potato salad!

Tonight, I am missing my mother!

I always miss my parents, especially when I think about all the things they didn’t get to know about me as a grown up, and about my little family,

but tonight I am really missing my mother.

I can’t tell her that I finally mastered her potato salad recipe.

(Well, my remembering of her making it-without a recipe.)

image

I inherited her cooking by instinct:  eyeballing-tasting-trial and error-and guessing-method.

(For the recipe go here.)

Everyone loved her cooking.  I have been told, (“My friends like to tell me…..”) that I make potato salad just like she did.

(The above reference refers to one of Jane Austin’s overly confident characters.  Unfortunately, I can’t remember which book it comes from.  Emma?  Can any one help me out?)

But,

I think my mom would be pleased.

I can’t tell her that I have incredibly talented, kind,  and wonderful children, or grand children who can sing at the top of their lungs every single word from the movie “Frozen”, and can do all the dance moves that go along with it.

They like to stand on the ottoman (their stage) and take turns belting out the songs. 

Sometimes their turns get blurred and someone might get pushed off the stage before their time is up, but they never miss a beat in the songs.

image

image

image

image

 

image

image

 

image

I’m pretty sure she would be proud of them, too.

I can’t tell her how sweet little Aubrey fell asleep at dinner tonight.

 

image

Or how worried we were when little Zachary ended up in the hospital last week with breathing problems.

 

image

I’d just love to tell her how excited we are to get to go and visit  this cute little guy soon!

image

I know she would love them all as much as I do!

So, there you have it.

I MISS MY MOTHER!

If you are one of the lucky ones who still has your mother around, please tell her how much you appreciate all she does for you.  Thank her for teaching you how to cook, or sew, or iron a shirt. 

Spend some time with her.

Maybe you could make some potato salad together!

JoAnn

image

Love you, mom!

8 comments:

Kelli said...

I'm sure she knows more about your life than we think. She probably watches your cute grand kids belting out Frozen songs with pride right beside you. I can't wait to spend more time with her and get to know her better.

Rosella said...

Oh - such a beautiful and heartfelt tribute to your dear mom and about your beautiful grands. I'm like you and learned to cook by instinct too. My mother was a fabulous cook and I'm fortunate to have some of her hand written recipes. I miss her so. "Mom's potato salads" are always the best - right?
I HAVE TO watch Frozen - everyone is talking about it or singing about it!! Have a wonderful first week of April!

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

I wasn't expecting to cry this morning... Thanks for the warning. :) Those pictures of the kids are hilarious. Such funny kids. Now since we are on the subject... Have I told you lately how much I love and appreciate you lately? I feel very fortunate not only to still have you around but that you are such a big part of our life. My children's life. I am so grateful for everything I have learned and continue to learn from you. I'm grateful for every minute my children get to spend with you. They cherish those moments, and so do I. I always hated I missed out on all of those experiences with Grandma. I felt so cheated. But I am so glad I have a loving mom and dad who are willing to anything at the drop of a hat for my family! Even when I call you at 4 in the morning. Thanks mom for being the worlds best ever mom!!!

Debby Ray said...

It sounds like your mother has been gone for many years...I am so sorry. I was blessed to have my momma until 2010 when she passed at nearly 98. She made great potato salad as well...without a real recipe, like yours. I would give anything to be able to have any of her cooking. Some days we just need our moms, no matter how old. BTW, your grandchildren are adorable :)

Irene said...

Thanks for making me teary-eyed. I wish I could have known your mother, but I think I do a little because I know you. I can definitely see you in her picture.
I'm also thankful you are such a wonderful grandma to our kids. They just love coming to see you and performing for you.

Michelle said...

I really miss grandma too. I have a lot of great memories of her. I know that I have the greatest mom out there. I've learned a lot of great things from you (though I'm not good at instinctive cooking like you are). I know she'd be proud of all that you've accomplished!

Anonymous said...

Nobody can replace the love, comfort, and special bond of a mother. I know it has been hard for you all these years without Grandma. She was so amazing and her life was way too short. She would be proud because you are like her in so many ways. I am lucky to have you as my mom!

Katie

p.s. The quote was said by Mrs. Elton in Emma.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Your Mother was a beautiful woman, and I have a feeling her sprit does know about your wonderful family, JoAnn. I know how hard it is to see them go. My Mom passed away just a few months before her 90th birthday and a few months before my daughter's wedding. We were all so sad she did not make those milestones in her life, as she was really looking forward to both. Since my extended family would all be at the wedding we planned on having a special cake for her also, after the bride and groom's cake cutting ceremony, and to sing "Happy birthday" to her. It wasn't meant to be, but she passed quickly and easily so we were content she was finally with my dad again, whom she lost 42 years earlier. We was a widow all those years--longer than their marriage.