There are certain times of the day that seem to stand out a little more than other times.
A moment when something makes us pause and look around, maybe noticing something that we might miss during the busy day.
Some are morning people.
They appreciate the quiet beauty of a sky just starting to fill with color. They can enjoy the stillness of a house not yet encumbered by the noises of the dishwasher, television, phone, and family. Our children are grown up and living away from home, but memories of blow dryers, toasters, and someone looking for missing shoes or homework isn’t so far behind us that we forget that morning chaos.
Other people seem to relish the early evening,
when a hard day’s work makes one sit back and relax with a cool drink and a striking sunset. I love working in the garden, hoping that the last ray of light will give me a few more minutes of pleasure before darkness forces me inside.
Do you have a favorite time of day?
Sometimes it seems like days go by without my noticing those simple, miraculous moments.
I let myself get caught up in the busy tasks of life.
Frustrations move in and take over that part of my brain that can find beauty and peace, pushing it back where I forget all about it.
I find myself too tired to get up and appreciate the morning sky, and too exhausted to go outside and watch the sun set.
Tonight I just happened to walk by the piano just as the sun was starting to set. The shadows on the wall made the room look different, a bit foreign, almost like I was in somebody’s else’s house.
The little statues on the piano, gifts from people I love, seemed to call out to me, reminding me that someone appreciates me, and that I need to slow down and enjoy life more.
Tomorrow I am going to seek out more of those moments.
I need to go outside and start walking again.
Soon the weather will be warm enough to allow us to start gardening.
Maybe I will even take my camera along for some new photos to share.
(Yes, there has been a photo drought here!)
Wish me luck as I try to refocus.
I hope you find pleasure in those small, unexpected moments, too!
JoAnn
6 comments:
I most definitely am NOT a morning person myself. I love watching the sunset though. Such a beautiful time of day! It is nice to remember to enjoy the simple things in life sometimes. It's so easy to lose focus. Thanks for sharing.
Joann, what a sweet post. I am an early riser myself...out of bed before 5 AM most mornings...just can't stay in the bed any longer. I love those quiet morning hours even before the sun rises and I'm the only one up...to spend some time with Jesus and collect my thoughts for the day. I also love the setting sun and the warm sunlight that it casts on objects...which by the way, I have one of those same sweet statues that you have...the Grandmother one, holding the baby :)
Oh Joann - I can so related to this post. I am definitely a night person and seem to get my energy in the evening. Sometimes I really wish I was a morning - get up and going person instead!
I too need to start getting out for a walk and also start eating better. This long, long winter has had it's tole on me. I'll send you some refresh vibes and try to do the same over here!
I used to like getting up early and having an hour to myself before the day started. Kind of made the whole day go better but now that I don't have the kids at home and I'm retired I seem to get things done in the evening. Not sure why. Hope you have a great week. Mimi
I took a similar photo today of the afternoon sunlight coming through my kitchen window blinds, JoAnn! It caught my eye just as it did yours!
I think winter makes us hibernate and spring reawakens our spirits. I used to walk every morning with friends in Brooklyn, and it made me feel so energized for the day. Here I walk, if I am fortunate, in the late afternoon. I think I prefer the morning walks --hopefully I will be able to do them again very soon!
I'm a morning person, definitely. Your shadow photos are so pretty. It is important for us to take notice of things like that. Simple things that just make us happy. :)
Thanks for your sweet compliment about my bird's nest.
Post a Comment