Saturday, March 8, 2014

Ready or not…here is the new bed!

The pillows are done!

That means I’m ready to show off the new bed my husband made.

I’d thought I’d start with a little “Before” picture to make everything look better by contrast.

This is how the room looked when we first started.  It was functional, but not very cozy.  The molding wasn’t up yet and the bed was just a Hollywood frame.  The mismatched bedding had been pulled out from storage, the stool by the dresser was just draped with fabric, and the wall was decorated with a framed Warren Kimball poster and a clock.  The  old dresser (my grandpa Palmer’s) was peeling and in need of some repair.

We were so excited to have another guest room that we tried to overlook the lack of style and just focus on the function.

Before:

image

These curtains hadn’t made the statement I had hoped they would.

image

Here is the after:

image

image

I love the headboard!  We painted the old dresser to match it and the stool is now officially recovered.  I bought the white comforter at Ikea ($20.00).  Notice the Euro-pillows?  I used the fabric from the catalog curtains to make them, and I had enough red flowered material left from the stool to make one more pillow for the bed. 

 

image

image

We changed out the wall pictures from other rooms in the house.

image

The white curtains were from Walmart. 

image

image

We brought a tan recliner down from upstairs to make some comfortable seating.  This room was decorated on a shoe-string budget, but it seems so much more cozy now than it did before.

Now, don’t you think it needs some guests?

 

imageimage

JoAnn

P.S.  Hope your weekend is fun and relaxing!

 

10 comments:

julie said...

I loooove it, JoAnn!

Rosella said...

You've done a great job - the pillows and red and white bedding is beautiful, not to mention the headboard and dresser. It all looks so nice. I've just been researching red and white vintage quilts and hope to make one someday! Good job you guys!

Stacey said...

JoAnn, it's wonderful! The colors, the layers of softness, and that amazing headboard! Your guests are really going to enjoy the room.

Pondside said...

It's lovely, JoAnn. I'm sure it won't be long before you'll have a waiting list! It may have been done on a shoestring, but it looks very, very chic.

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

The bed looks great! The bed, paint job and fabric changes really made a big difference.

The Gathering Place said...

Auntie Linda said:
Your house should be in a magazine!

White Lace and Promises said...

Liked it before. Love it now!!! When I saw the before, I thought it was the after. Such a great transformation, but I would take either one. You have a great way of pulling everything together. I've got to get busy again.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I love it, JoAnn! Beige and red is such a pleasing color palate. The white curtains add light and match the white shelves so well. Great job! Can you come to my house and help me find window treatments? I'm at a loss on what to replace the former owner's treatments with. They are very 1990's

Mimi Sue said...

I love your new guest room. So welcoming! Mimi

Marg said...

I love how you can take the simplest ideas together with your husband and make a place look so inviting and comfortable. I can see developing a new hobby/career after your teaching days are over.