Our oldest granddaughter, Maddie, is pretty excited for school to end for the summer. She just finished first grade.
I don’t have a picture of myself running from school on the last day, but I am pretty certain that I had that same grin on my face (o.k., maybe not that much energy in my step either…).
While I will miss my students, I am tired and need some catch up time!
School is now officially out for the summer (insert a big “Yeah!”) and I survived the last hectic week- hot classroom (my cooler was broken), packing-wrapping-every thing-up for new carpet, restless-student-frenzy. We endured walking field trips, sunny soccer games, and having everything boxed up for summer remodeling.
To celebrate the arrival of summer, my sister Linda and I set off for a day of dreaming and exploring at the Utah Valley Parade of Homes. We have this little tradition that every summer we sneak away and spend the day, armed with our cameras, looking at new homes. This year we saw some great houses and some fun new ideas.We had a delicious lunch at Paradise Bakery, a fun place to eat, and we enjoyed getting caught up on a lot of news.
One of our favorite ideas involved framing old family recipes, on the original cards and in the cook’s handwriting. I have a lot of recipes that look very similar to these from my mom. They even have a few splatters and stains on them! I can’t wait to frame some of our favorites.
These recipes were sitting along side old family china and tea cups. Imagine the stories that were shared by the ladies as they sipped hot drinks and ate delicious home made treats! I’m sure they found great pleasure in the few moments of relaxation they had.
Hopefully, I will get to some of my summer projects soon. I have a big list of things lined up to do, and some fun breaks, too.
Right now, however, I am going to put my feet up and watch some television. Just because I can!
Do you have some fun summer projects planned?
JoAnn
P.S. Thanks for sharing the pictures, Liz!
4 comments:
JoAnn, I'm breathing a sigh of relief for you. :) I know how it feels for school to end. It's bittersweet but feels so good to drive away for awhile. Happy Summer!
We have my husband's grandmother's chocolate pie recipe framed. Such a sweet thing to do especially considering that handwritten things are disappearing.
Hooray!! I'm sure that the excitement on your granddaughter's face accurately reflects your state of mind!
I love the idea of framing the recipes - another idea to save for the kitchen of our new house (when we find it!)
Have a great summer - and make sure that you do a lot of things......just because you can.
So once again, I'm a little slow in seeing this... but here I am anyway.
All I can say is, the visual of you running from your school like Maddie really gave me the giggles. I sure wish I could witness that one. :)
Congrats on another school year being over! I've been rather exhausted lately myself--I think it's due to all the travel we've done lately and all the yard work and babysitting. Even retirement is tiring..lol! Enjoy the summer!
I love the framed recipe idea! They are treasures to be preserved.
Post a Comment