Thursday, June 19, 2014

Wild West Weekend

image

My husband and I had a fun weekend get-away!

It involved cowboys, antlers, and rugged mountain peaks.

A family gathering in Rexburg, Idaho,  celebrating a temple sealing and baby shower for my niece Amy and her husband Trevor, gave us the idea of driving a few hours longer to escape in cowboy country- Jackson Hole Wyoming- for the rest of the weekend.

We drove through the little towns of Sugar City, Tetonia (remember the Teton dam disaster?), and Driggs,  commenting on the beautiful farm land, and over the mountain via the Teton Pass Highway to Wyoming .  The drive there was spectacular and the ten percent grade going up and down the mountain pass wasn’t even too bad.  (I held on tightly to my door handle the whole time!) 

Jackson Hole, Wyoming is a small area completely surrounded by mountain ranges, and just a short drive from the famous Teton Peaks.  It is the southwest gateway to Yellowstone National Park, and the beautiful Snake River adds to the charm of the area.  It is an outdoor dream-come-true for the adventurous (and even those who just want to appreciate the beauty of the area).

We started our get-away at the Bar J Ranch in nearby Wilson.   We arrived just in time to quickly browse the surrounding ranch before the dinner bell was rung, beckoning us to a chuck wagon dinner and cowboy entertainment. 

image

image

imageimage

They have quite the set up and can quickly serve around 700 people delicious fixins’ like steak, BBQ beef or chicken, baked beans, and baked potatoes.  We had rolls, apple sauce, cake and lemonade, too.  It was delicious!

  P6143229

After dinner we were entertained by the Bar J Wranglers, five cowboy musicians with amazing talent at singing and playing instruments, including the fiddle, banjo, guitar, and etc.  I didn’t get a picture of them, but you can read more about them here.

It was a great beginning to an interesting, relaxing weekend.

Oh, and just to add to my theory about it being a small world, we sat right across the aisle from a couple from our home town (friends of our kids who had spent a lot of time at our house).

It was a great day!

image

JoAnn

P.S.  Not everything was peachy.  Check back later to read all about our lodgings!

4 comments:

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

I love the bar j. I'm sad we didn't get to go with you, though I know that was kind of the point. :)

Rosella said...

Sounds like a great get-away! Don't know much about this area but sounds like it's really worth exploring! It might have to go on our "Escape 19" list. Can't wait to hear and see more of your stories.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

My husband and I visited Jackson Hole a few years ago when we took a trip to Wyoming to see Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP! We also loved the town, and the upscale "wild west" feel of it :)

I'm sorry your lodging situation didn't work out? I'm curious now to see what happened.

Irene said...

I know Ken doesn't love posing for pictures, but tell him its worth it to hear how excited Olivia gets. "Papa Ken!"