It’s a good thing my house isn’t on the market.
I watch enough decorating shows to know that too many personal momentos and photos do not make a house “buyer-friendly”. Neutral is the big guide for making a place sellable.
We pretty much don’t do either.
Our grand kids hang on the wall of the office. (Yes, that sounds wrong-but they really are climbers, so in a way it works.) Some day their pictures will all show them between three and four years old, but a few aren’t quite there yet.
A family mini-gallery hangs in the living room.
Some of our ancestors pictures are also hanging in the office.
(My husband just finished putting the popular shiplap on one wall.)
There are a lot more pictures throughout the house .
A LOT!
Our book shelves are adorned with more photos, Ken’s dad’s American flag, grandmother’s tea cups, inherited vases, old tools, and some antique family books and dishes. We have items brought back from vacations. We have inherited souveniers from our parents and grandparents travels. Practically everything has a personal story behind it. If we ever sell this house, we’ll have to empty it out completely before we show it.
But…
It is kind of nice walking in to a room and being reminded of people and places we love.
When asked what our decorating style is, perhaps we’ll have to create a new phrase-
“Sentimental family museum style--collected over time.”
Does any one else have this same dilemina?
JoAnn
P.S. Even my office windows are family decorated.
6 comments:
That is exactly what makes a house a home. I love all of your great family photo groupings! Those real estate folks think they know everything but they don't really :)
Your office walls look a lot like our den walls - and stair wall - and the surface of every table/console in the house. Life is too short to be living according to someone else's taste. I love to surround myself with reminders of good times and of the people I love. I like your style!
My house too and I wouldn't have it any other way. :)
There are a lot of good memories associated with that house! And you know me and my pictures. You can never have enough of them. I love them!
Oh pooh - let them say what they will say. I love that your house is personalized and brings you joy. That's what living is all about. xoxoxo
Hi Joann
I also have many family photos and mementos on my walls! When we were preparing our NY house for sale we followed the rules and removed all our family photos, but that is about all the "staging" I did.
Post a Comment