Do you have any fall comfort foods that you like?
This Apple Dumpling recipe is a great one.
Who doesn't like the smell of apples, cinnamon, and sugar baking?
Carol Gilbert's Apple Dumplings
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/3 cup shortening
1 beaten egg
1/2 cup milk
Mix together the dry ingredients. Add in shortening like you are making a pie dough. Add egg and milk. Roll out in a large rectangle on a floured board. spread a few tablespoons of melted butter on the top. Sprinkle on cinnamon and sugar. Peel and grate about 4-6 apples and spread across the dough. Roll up the dough into a log shape (I like it to be short and fat- not long and skinny). Cut in 1 inch peices and place in a greased dripper size cake pan.
Make a syrup to pour over the dumplings.
Mix together in a sauce pan and bring to a boil:
2 cups sugar
2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 cup butter
Pour over the dumplings and bake at 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Serve watm with Vanilla ice cream.
P.S. Did you notice that someone couldn't wait to sample the dessert? Sorry! I forgot to hurry and get a picture.
P.P.S. The recipe comes from a good friend of our family. Carol was one of my mother's best friends and she was also the mother of my friend Danny (who recently passed away). Not only does it taste delicious, but I always think of good friends when I make it!
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/3 cup shortening
1 beaten egg
1/2 cup milk
Mix together the dry ingredients. Add in shortening like you are making a pie dough. Add egg and milk. Roll out in a large rectangle on a floured board. spread a few tablespoons of melted butter on the top. Sprinkle on cinnamon and sugar. Peel and grate about 4-6 apples and spread across the dough. Roll up the dough into a log shape (I like it to be short and fat- not long and skinny). Cut in 1 inch peices and place in a greased dripper size cake pan.
Make a syrup to pour over the dumplings.
Mix together in a sauce pan and bring to a boil:
2 cups sugar
2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 cup butter
Pour over the dumplings and bake at 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Serve watm with Vanilla ice cream.
P.S. Did you notice that someone couldn't wait to sample the dessert? Sorry! I forgot to hurry and get a picture.
P.P.S. The recipe comes from a good friend of our family. Carol was one of my mother's best friends and she was also the mother of my friend Danny (who recently passed away). Not only does it taste delicious, but I always think of good friends when I make it!
♥
JoAnn
JoAnn
7 comments:
Holy cow, those look so amazingly delicious!!! I wish I were at your house right now! :)
GOOD GRIEF...this looks delicious!! My favorite comfort food is....OH ANYTHING!
Sandra
I will most definitely be trying this recipe - it looks delicious!
Yummy! Will you make me some of those when you come up to visit me? I will even provide you with apples from my tree :)
Thanks for sharing. I haven't made these for years!! why?? dunno! I'll look forward to doing them now or coming over for some of yours! hint hint
They are truly yummy. I didn't know it was Carol's recipe. Fun to learn!
Oh yum! I'm going to have to try to make these. Don't you just love fall? I do!
Post a Comment