Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Fall tradition.....homemade doughnuts

One of our favorite fall traditions
is to make a batch of Doughnuts (Spud nuts).
They are a bit of work, but they turn out so yummy and they are as light as air.

Last year we enjoyed them at our Halloween party.


Here is the recipe:

Easy Doughnuts (Spud nuts)

1 3/4 cups milk, scalded (or hot water will do)
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons yeast, dissolved in 1/2 cup warm water
2 beaten eggs
1/2 cup shortening, melted in the warm milk or hot water
1/2 cup mashed potatoes or prepared instant
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Mix well, being careful not to put yeast in the milk until it has cooled off.

Add:
6 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons salt

Mix well and knead lightly. Cover and let raise (about an hour?). Roll out about 1/2 inch thick on floured surface. Cut in doughnut shape (we always use a large cup and a tiny lid to a salt shaker, but you can use real doughnut cutters if you have them.) and let raise until double.
Deep fat fry. (We just put a few inches of oil in a large skillet or electric frying pan and cook one side and then flip over to cook the other side.)
Dip in glaze while warm.

Glaze:
1/2 package powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Add enough hot water to make a rather thick glaze. Dip doughnuts while still warm. Use wooden spoon through the hole to let the glaze drip off.

Now we need to plan another Halloween party.
Last year we had a great one!
Who is ready to party?



JoAnn

10 comments:

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

I love spudnuts! And I love our Halloween traditions. I am sad we won't be able to have a normal Halloween party this year but I think I will choose a baby over a party.

Amber said...

Oh that looks so good, if you have a Halloween party invite me please! I would love to come over again sometime soon and bring my kids so you guys can meet them. Anyway you all look like you have so much fun all the time, I enjoy reading your blog. I am not very good at keeping mine updated, but I love reading others!

~Amber

Marg said...

I can smell the doughnuts. It looks like such a fun family tradition...
Wouldn't you be surprised if we all flew in with all our kids in costumes and you'd have the fun of discovering each other as we slowly revealed ourselves....

Lacey said...

I'm drooling over your spudnuts... yummy! And I love the picture from your Halloween party last year. You guys go all out and it looks like so much fun! :)

Joanna and Eric said...

I want to have a halloween party....Eric even said I could! Now I just have to plan one, and find decorations somehow. Maybe you could all come to Rexburg for the party!?

linda said...

so fun! I can't wait. Sure glad you like to plan parties!

Julie said...

The doughnuts look heavenly! I'm pretty sure I don't want to make them, so I guess a trip to SLC is necessary!

Michelle said...

I'm in for a Halloween party! We talked about Saturday the 24th. Now I just need to come up with a costume.

Julie said...

Anybody able to party the night before halloween? When's Liz's baby due? Maybe the 30th wouldnt even be a remote possibility....?

Anonymous said...

I'd be down for a party on the 30th sounds like lots of fun.