Thursday, December 3, 2009

Brrrrr....It's cold outside!

Brrrr........
KSL weather report:
Salt Lake City
25 degrees F
High so far: 30 degrees F
Low so far: 17 degrees F

(Maddie, last Christmas, all decked out in fifty layers of warmth!)

Isn't it always a shocker to go from nice weather to the first chilly day?

On a cold day like today it's good to have some warm clothes to bundle up in!

So why did so many of my students come to school in light jackets today?
(They all promised me they had warm coats at home and that they would wear them tomorrow.)

Of course...
I remember as a child being complimented by our school nurse, Mrs. Dunlap, for being the FIRST one to wear long stockings to school (probably in September!).
I was always embarrassed by this honor.
For those of you who are NOT as old as I am, we had to wear dresses to school. Our long stockings were really ugly things that connected to a little garter belt.
My parents MADE us dress warmly, otherwise I would probably have been
just like some of my students.
(I guess I'm grateful now.)

Just so you won't feel too sorry for me...
Those stockings made great Christmas hanging socks- they sagged with the weight of the orange and could hold a LOT of stuff.

Does anybody out there remember those days?

Well, I'm off to heat up some HOT chocolate and sit by the fire!


JoAnn

(photo by google.com)

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Aren't you glad you have a "switch on" fireplace? Sure the traditional ones are fun, but nothing beats the ease of the new modern gas fireplaces.

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

So I know we have a fireplace but I can't make myself use it. I sure wish I was there to cuddle up in front of your fireplace. And I love that picture of Maddie. I neve thought she had chubby cheeks and then I see pictures of her now and realize she really did.

Lacey said...

It really is SO COLD... fells like winter is making it's presence known!

Kelli said...

It's still quite warm here - about 50-60 degrees. It definitely doesn't feel like Christmas. Plus we still have green grass, which is really weird. I'm excited to come home for the holidays...next week!!!

Anonymous said...

I have definitely experienced the cold a lot this week. Between putting the lights on the house,my outside morning and recess duties and other random trips I feel like I've had a full winters worth of cold! I am dreading the snow. I'm hoping for a mild winter.

Katie C.

Barb said...

Oh, I remember those stockings. What I remember most is hoping that I wouldn't have to go to the bathroom all day. I couldn't quite figure out that garter thing.

Good post!

Marg said...

Can I come and join you at the fireplace and we will talk about stockings and garter belts....
It's cold here also...a bit of snow, and a chilly northeastern wind....
Hot Chocolate sounds like a good idea.