Today I attended a work shop at school and spent time learning better ways to teach my students. It was a great training session. They fed us a tasty breakfast, yummy lunch, and snacks. They gave away prizes. I needed the encouragement and fresh ideas. (Did you know our school has about a 92% free or reduced lunch population?) The presenter acknowledged that we are at the most challenged school in the district and that we start off the year with many of our students considerably behind the rest of the other schools, and yet are expected to achieve the same test results by the end of the year. (He teaches at the Jr. High feeder school that our students will attend.) It was nice to have someone validate and understand our situation. Despite the challenges, I love our kids!
He told us about a boy who had attended our school and is now in Jr. High. This boy had been in my class in the third grade. He was a challenge then and became an even greater one as he found his way into gangs, drugs, and other bad situations. But, he turned his life around and is doing so well. He has been speaking to other students about his decisions to take control of his life. He credits his teachers and principals for helping him get through the tough times. The presenter had actually "gone to bat" for him and convinced the Jr. High Principal to let him attend their school. Together they worked through the difficult problems.
Anyway, it was a nice reminder that teachers can make a difference in their lives.
I also attended a wedding reception tonight and ran into several former students. It was fun visiting with them (until I found out one is now eighteen years old-that makes me
feel really old)!
I didn't get any house work done today,
but I did get my overdue pedicure (Yeah!),
so it was a nice day after all.
Coming soon: I'm looking forward to spring in Utah!
Thanks for letting me use your beautiful pictures, Linda!
(She took them last spring.)
♥
JoAnn
P.S. Our hearts and prayers go out to our friends Matt and Sara (click on their names)) Staker. Their little boy is in intensive care at Primary Children's Hospital. He is fighting for his life as he tries to overcome a drowning accident. Please help pray for him, too!
I'm linking this post to The Little Red House Mosaic Monday!
He told us about a boy who had attended our school and is now in Jr. High. This boy had been in my class in the third grade. He was a challenge then and became an even greater one as he found his way into gangs, drugs, and other bad situations. But, he turned his life around and is doing so well. He has been speaking to other students about his decisions to take control of his life. He credits his teachers and principals for helping him get through the tough times. The presenter had actually "gone to bat" for him and convinced the Jr. High Principal to let him attend their school. Together they worked through the difficult problems.
Anyway, it was a nice reminder that teachers can make a difference in their lives.
I also attended a wedding reception tonight and ran into several former students. It was fun visiting with them (until I found out one is now eighteen years old-that makes me
feel really old)!
I didn't get any house work done today,
but I did get my overdue pedicure (Yeah!),
so it was a nice day after all.
Coming soon: I'm looking forward to spring in Utah!
Thanks for letting me use your beautiful pictures, Linda!(She took them last spring.)
♥
JoAnn
P.S. Our hearts and prayers go out to our friends Matt and Sara (click on their names)) Staker. Their little boy is in intensive care at Primary Children's Hospital. He is fighting for his life as he tries to overcome a drowning accident. Please help pray for him, too!
I'm linking this post to The Little Red House Mosaic Monday!
11 comments:
not bad pictures if I may say so myself!! I had an intresting day also. (going from an empty nesters club to a household of 11 can do that) The pedicure sounds like heaven.
...maybe the way I signed my name says it all!...linda
Linda you make me laugh. Mom, I am proud to call you my mother. I know that it may be hard at times to see the effect you are making on these children but I know you truly do make a difference. These kids need you. Not only for the academic side but for the nurturing, loving side as well. It takes a great person to be able to do what you do. I love you!
Teachers are amazing! Thank you for the prayers for Bronson and the family!
Are those poppies? Are they naturalized? WOW! That is gorgeous. Nice pictures! Teachers are wonderful!
My heart goes out to that little boy and his family....
Wow, your school sounds exactly like the school my taught teaches. Some days are so difficult, but since Christmas she has met some new resources through tweeter and has made some excellent new connections which have inspired her once again.
I feel along with you....It's difficult, but they all need a chance.
Lovely flowers and mosaic. Very pretty. My prayers go out to the little boy and his family.
Wildflowers! It won't be long before they start to blanket hills and roadsides across this great land!
Oh dear...sorry for your friends. Makes me heart sick.
And yes...teachers do make a difference!! I wish they all could realize it.
And really, if you didn't get anything in your house done, at least you got that pedicure. I've always wanted one of those.
Sandra
Teachers do make huge differences in our childrens lives. Your students are so lucky to have you. I loved your pictures and post.
One of my best friends is a principal at Day Break and my sister teaches at Kari Sue and loves each of her special Ed.
I too am looking forward to spring. Would you like any Irises this spring?
~♥
Well spring in Utah looks wonderful indeed!
And thanks for being a teacher and making a difference for all the kids out there.
Post a Comment