Thursday, February 25, 2010

Why didn't I think of that?


Ever have one of those days when you feel bad about something that you
DIDN'T do?

Today I missed out on an opportunity to serve.
It wasn't a big crisis or emergency-
I'm sure I'd have been there willing to help if that were the case.

No, it was something I barely took the time to notice.

Someone at our school has been going through a hard time. They have been scrambling to find a place to live. In the last few weeks they have been in and out of the homeless shelter. Days of school have been missed. Lives have been turned upside down.

Kids are really resilient. This person came to school today,
smiling and happy to be with friends again. We excitedly welcomed them back.

As I was busily doing all the things that teachers do in a normal day, I noticed that they didn't have any socks on. I thought to myself, "I'll bet someone will have hot, sweaty feet tonight."
Then, the challenge of teaching a room full of energetic students overtook my thoughts and I quickly forgot all about it.

Later, as the students were getting ready to head on home, I realized that this person now had on a pair of clean, white socks.

Quietly and discretely, someone had seen a need and taken care of it.

In our quest to accomplish all the many tasks that are thrown at us each day, do we miss sight of those little, but very important, things that go unnoticed?

I did.

And I'm so sorry!

P.S. Tomorrow I am going to buy a big package of socks- just to have on hand.
You never know when you might need them.


JoAnn


4 comments:

Small House said...

Teachers are so busy...
I worked at a school for 5 years, and there was a teacher that did the very same thing that you are doing today. She had a pkg. of socks in her drawer. I have to hand it to you ladies.

BUT...with or without socks in your drawer, there's not doubt that you touched someones life that day!!!
Sandra

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

That makes me sad. I just got done reading Sara's blog and it made me want to go out and do something good. Your post furthers that feeling. I love you mom. We'll see you in a few hours!

Kelli said...

You are a great person, JoAnn! Jared and I were discussing how we are grateful that you blog, I feel like we've been able to get to know you better. You are also a great writer! We enjoy reading your posts.

Lacey said...

Thank you for that reminder. I doubt I would have noticed enough to do something either, but I'm sure that those socks made their day. The Lord really does take care of all of His children.