Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Kids really do say the darnedest things....




(Self-portraits by last year's class)

Every day I spend time with some of the most interesting people on the earth.

I can honestly say that there is never a dull moment when one works
with eight year old kids.
(I should write a book about some of the funny things I hear-but parents would probably be mortified at what would be revealed!)

Today after school I was practicing with a small group of kids who were asked to sing at a funeral for "Grandma Treat", the mother of one of our kindergarten teachers.
Grandma spent many years volunteering at our school and earned her nickname because of all the goodies and treats she brought to share with others.
She loved the children and served them well.
(Who says you have to retire from service?
She was still coming to school until about a year ago-and she was almost 90!)

As we were practicing, the chorister was trying to prepare them for the funeral experience. She talked about how people would be feeling sad, maybe even crying. She reminded them that they would need to wear nice clothes to show respect, and that they might get nervous, but to focus on watching her.
She went on to tell them that they would be missing about an hour of school, but that they would be back in time for lunch.

About this time they realized they would be leaving the school grounds.
A spontaneous cheer erupted.

One student yelled, "Yeah! It's a field trip!"

I had a nice chuckle (under my breath-of course)!


JoAnn


4 comments:

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

hehehe. Oh kids. Make me laugh.

Katie said...

Hahahahah! Isn't it great that teaching is never dull? They really do say the funniest things!

Beth at Aunties said...

Out of the mouth of babes! I wish I would have kept a book of all our little ones. They are too funny!:)

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

My daughter-in-law is a kindergarten teacher and always has delightful stories about what the children in her class say and do. Teaching is the best profession!

It's so nice that Grandma Treat was remembered and honored so well for all the time she gave to helping in school.