Monday, October 11, 2010

Whirlwind tour of the Washington D.C. Mall and sore feet.....

I was warned.
Take good walking shoes!
But...
My vanity won over my sensibility.
My comfortable walking shoes have seen better days and look pretty awful, AND I was going to one of the most famous gathering places in America- and that meant looking stylish.  Right?
Yes, I am the same person who once crammed my size 8 1/2 feet into size 5 bowling shoes to impress my Jr. High School friends. (Whose idea was it, anyway, to post your feet size for the whole world to see?   Yes, I now have the bunions to prove it!)

Anyway,
a late-afternoon-spur-of-the-moment-decision to head to the mall area left me little time to ponder anything, let alone comfort or functionality.  We hopped on the Metro and headed to see the sights I had only seen in pictures, books, or movies. 

With limited sunlight and closing times looming, we hurried to several Smithsonian Museum exhibits, walked from one end of the mall to the other, climbed millions of stairs, and walked and walked and walked.

I loved everything I saw!

(The Washington Monument)


(The Capitol Building)



(Lincoln Memorial Monument)


(World War II Memorial)

Yes, it was the condensed version of "How to See Washington D.C", but... 
I can say I was there ...
and it was impressive!


P.S.  The picture below is of my cute niece Monica and two of her boys who also live in the area!

P.P.S. Did you know that along with getting blisters, I also wore the polish off my toe?



3 comments:

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

haha i love the polish off the toe comment. You are silly mommy. :) I'm glad you got to see the sites even if it was super fast.

Marie said...

Thanks for coming with us JoAnn - I enjoyed reading your blog. - Marie A.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Nice photos!
My son attended college in Washington DC, so we visited our nation's capital many times. It's a wonderful place isn't it? The museums alone could take weeks to see!