Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Giving, kindness, and Relief….

 

I am happy to report that I SURVIVED today and school is officially on hold until January 3rd!   Yeah!

Actually, my class was really good today and we got a lot accomplished. 

1.  We wrote multiple thank you letters to different groups who were very kind and generous.  We have been treated to class parties, gift bags, playground balls, and so many other things.  Did you know that every student in our school received a new pair of shoes or a coupon to purchase a pair.  That is about 800 pairs of new shoes! 

(And many were in dire need of new shoes!)

Thank you kind sponsors!

2.  We performed our Christmas carols for a standing-room -only crowd of parents and friends. 

3.  We enjoyed reading this book:

The Quiltmaker's Gift

It is a wonderful story about a very greedy king who has so many gifts (He even created a new law to allow himself TWO birthdays a year), but  no happiness.  He realizes that the only thing he still wants is a beautiful quilt made by a little old lady who lives in the mountains.  The problem is, she won’t give him one or even let him buy one because she only gives her quilts to the poor and needy.

Even after he and his army march up to her house in the middle of the night (in their pajamas) she refuses to give him a quilt unless he gives away all of his other gifts.

Finally, in desperation, he gives away one gift- a small marble.  Something miraculous starts to happen to him when he sees the joy on the face of the little boy who receives the marble. The rest of the story is very heart warming and, of course, has a happy ending!  (I love children’s books!)

4.  We cleaned our desks and classroom.  Thank goodness for the good smell of Clorox Wipes!

*********

I am now at home unwinding- by listening to the very beautiful Christmas music of Josh Groban and Il Divo.

imageimage

It doesn’t get much better than this!

JoAnn

 

3 comments:

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

You forgot to mention that you are also enjoying a peaceful evening with your two "angels who never get into any kind of trouble" granddaughters :) I'm glad your finally done so you can spend more time with us.

Irene said...

I'm glad your kids were good for you today. We enjoyed coming to watch the program today, the kids did a great job on their songs.

Mimi Sue said...

I worked in the school nurse's office in an elementary school for 17 years and I know exactly how you feel! Freedom! Loved that story about your mom. It brought tears to my eyes and I only hope that I can be half as selfless as she was. Have a wonderful Christmas (and break) with your family. Mimi