I grew up in a household that followed this belief:
“If God had intended us to follow recipes,
He wouldn't have given us grandmothers.” ~Linda Henley
He wouldn't have given us grandmothers.” ~Linda Henley
My personal collection of family recipes included hen scratched notes written on the back of envelopes, units of measurement unknown to modern mankind (“Add a glob of shortening”), dishes that were created with a pinch of this and a pinch of that (and no written instructions at all), and even worse, simply delicious concoctions that went to the grave with the women who created them.
There was no shortage of good, hearty food in our home, or delectable sweet treats- just a problem with the recording system.
For this reason, our children have taken on the task of compiling a family cook book of the recipes we love the most.
In 2006, the kids secretly created a little cookbook of recipes we enjoy as a surprise for us at Christmas time. They printed them at the copy center-all ten of them!
In 2009 a second book was published through Lulu and 40 copies were printed. This book included a lot of recipes we wished had been in the original one, but for one reason or another had been omitted.
Over the last few years, Liz has taken on the primary job of expanding the cookbook to include recipes from all our children, my siblings, aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins, Ken’s family, her Nielsen in-laws, and other family friends. (Whew!) She now has 458 favorite family recipes ready to head off to the printer in a format similar to this cookbook below. The best part is that it is a ringed binder to allow for additional recipes to be included.
She is planning on ordering 200 copies!
If you are interested in getting a book of your own, hop on over to her blog and let her know you want one.
Here is a brief explanation of the price (from her blog):
I will be sending the book to the press by this weekend and will be receiving the books at the beginning of December, just in time for Christmas. Many of you have already reserved your copy of the book but I wanted to let all of you know that I will be ordering 200 books so please let me know if you are interested in getting a copy of the book. If you send me your money for the books right now I will be selling them for just $10! If you want to wait until I have the books to get your copy I will be selling them for $12 a piece. So let me know now if you are interested and how many books you would like as well. I do need your money as soon as possible since I have to pay for all of the books up front so please send me your money ASAP. Let me know if you need my address so you can send me a check.
Thanks, Liz, for all the hard work putting this together!
JoAnn
P.S. We have some wonderful cooks in the family!
6 comments:
Can't wait!! I love cookbooks! (maybe more than cooking :) I just wish that looking at them they would magically appear in the kitchen! Thanks so much Lizzie!
Isn't it fun to build around your family legacy and heritage? Way to go on Liz...looks like one fabulous idea about the ring binder...then you can insert them.
Looks like you enjoy the comfort foods like many of us.
Enjoy and what a wonderful gift.
That's such a wonderful idea! When I think of the recipes from my mother's family that have been lost.....
LOVE it! I am so excited - I think I will buy one for each of my girls, even though Emily is only 5, & keep it until they go away to college etc. I also wish they would magically appear in the kitchen. I can't wait - Thanks again Lizzy!
Thanks for posting this! I just keep forgetting and forgetting to send my money to her.... I'm so excited to see how this book turns out though!
What a treasure to have all your family recipes together in such a beautiful book! I am so tempted to order one as I love heritage recipes.
I am in the process of compiling family recipes for a cookbook I am making as a gift for my daughter's bridal shower.
Post a Comment