Sunday, January 15, 2012

A weekend of fun- besides Home Depot

This weekend we managed not ONE outing, but TWO fun events.

(And neither one involved aisles, shopping carts, cashiers, or lumber!)

First….we had a fun date night with friends.  We ate dinner at one of our favorite Mexican restaurants Su Casa ,and then went went to Desert Star and saw this play:

image

http://www.desertstar.biz/playhouse_now_playing.htm

We have had season tickets with three other couples for years, and this one was one of the best plays we’ve seen in a long time.  They do funny parodies of other movies and shows  (always adding a villain and a heroine). 

We laughed and we laughed and we laughed!

The cute little “mommy” had her baby right there as she helped catch the mysterious murderer.  She was hilarious.

The whole cast also performed a musical olio at the end of the play and they were all talented singers, too.

We also had a party with our ward Bishopric and two service missionary couples serving in our ward (church).  We hosted at our house, but everyone helped with the food. 

We had cordon bleu, rice, stuffed mushrooms, tossed salad, glazed carrots, home made rolls, etc.

(I love eating a gourmet dinner and only having to prepare one thing!)

2012_0114January0025

I pulled out the linens, china, and goblets. 

2012_0114January0035

Ken picked up some fresh flowers.

2012_0114January0031

Our Bishop’s wife made everyone a little treat.

2012_0114January0052

Chocolate covered fruit!

2012_0114January0059

Grapes, raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries that were all delicious and looked so pretty!

It was a really nice weekend.

Now, if I could only get rid of my head cold.

I usually wait until I am half dead before I go to the doctor, so this time I went in early to avoid the month-long  prolonged coughing, sneezing, and general pain. 

The doctor told me it was a virus and sent me home without any medicine.

I guess I’ll just have to wait until that long, miserable month is over (and the “virus” settles in my chest) to get some sympathy from my doctor!

My friend Sandi just gave me a list of “home remedies” to try.

I’ll let you know if they help!

Have a nice Monday.  We get to stay home from work!

JoAnn

 

8 comments:

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

I'm flag your weekend was a big success but I'm sorry the doctor did nothing to help you. Those chocolates look delish. What a fun party.

Pondside said...

Your table looked lovely and I'm sure everyone had a very good time. I'm sorry about the cold - the best thing for it is lots of tea, rest, a stack of books or magazines and a stack of DVDs of your favorite shows (I'd pick all the Jane Austin costume dramas!). Don't fight it - just give in and you'll get better. Take care!

Marg said...

I love your weekend...those are always fun...a bit of live drama can capture laughter from many of us.
I love your table scape. Just the pure white on white is so stellar and of course preparing is one thing..but when others help it becomes more fun because you have the time to think of the smaller details.
Stay home all week and R&R!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Your table looked lovely Jo-Ann and the chocolate covered fruit gift was a very nice idea by the Bishop's wife.

I hope you feel better soon. I always find that using zinc lozenges early on in a cold helps.

Thank you for your kind words of condolence -- they were very comforting to me.

wendy said...

What a Great weekend you had. All those years I've lived in Utah and NEVER went to Desert Star.
How does that happen.
Your table setting looked gorgeous.

Beth at Aunties said...

It sounds like a delightful weekend ...other than the nasty cold.
Your table looked so beautiful!
Thanks for the review of Desert Star. I am going to see if they have any tickets left. I remember the day the mommy was born! The mommy/CORRINE/Ashley was raised next door to us and I consider her one of mine and she calls me her other mom. I LOVE that girl! I am glad she is doing so well:) (It does seem to be a very small world with you and I)
Get better quickly...don't please wait a month!

Mimi Sue said...

So fun! Usually our dates consist of a trip to Lowes followed by a trip to Taco Time. Mimi

monica said...

What a beautiful dinner place setting! The menu sounds divine. And your bishop's wife is a gem for making those adorable treats. So sweet.