Tuesday, February 28, 2012

A family connection

image

(picture link)

It seems like every year it gets harder and harder to keep up with our extended families.

Two of my sisters live in Idaho, one of Ken’s sisters lives in Washington, and some of our nieces and nephews live in neighboring states, while others live clear across the country.

We don’t always get together as often as we would like.

(Besides, weddings and funerals are just not the best times to enjoy each other’s company and catch up on all the news.)

My niece Kelli is living in West Virginia while her husband is attending medical school and she has taken on the responsibility of keeping the family united through a family newsletter.  Every couple of months she sends us a reminder that it is time to shoot off a little update about our family.  She then compiles them and emails them to everyone.

Some are really long and informative.

A few are short and sweet.

Most include some fun pictures and updates.

It is always fun to see what is going on in each household and to feel a part of their lives.

Here is a little sampling of the Hall family news:

Good luck to Aunt Mardene as she has cataract surgery this week.

Thanks, Jeff, for taking care of her!

image

Congratulations to Lynzi and Regan as you head off to different colleges.  Good luck with the soccer and softball teams, Regan!

Yeah to Karli for getting to start dating!

Hope your Blueberry Morning cereal tastes delicious Joanna and Eric. (Your kids are so cute!)

Happy first birthday, Lincoln!

Congratulations on passing your exam Julie!

Hope your foot heals quickly, Linda.

Have fun on your trip Michelle and Katie!

Did you enjoy the ducks at the farm, Joshua?

image

Glad you had a great vacation Liz and Karl!

Jenni and Brady, we love the new cabin!

Holly and Preston we look forward to seeing you soon.

Audrey, I love the baby quilt and the house projects.

Melissa, good luck at the new Nordstroms opening!

Chris and Ally, can’t wait to see little Blake.

Diane, we both have boring lives!

Anyway, you get the picture. 

It is fun to read about  and see the little day to day happenings, celebrate the big occasions, and support each other during times of illness and sadness.

THANK YOU, KELLI, for organizing this and keeping it going!

Families are important.

(I think everyone agrees.)

JoAnn

What do you do to keep your extended family connected? 

 

10 comments:

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

It really is nice that Kelli pushes us to do it. We used to spend so much time together, it seems odd that we don't get to be together nearly as often as we used to. It's fun to still feel like we are a part of each others lives. Way to go Kelli. Thanks again.

Mom this was a fun little recap.

Pondside said...

We sisters email and chat on the phone regularly, but it's hard to stay in touch with the next generation. Your niece is great to have taken on the task of keeping everyone up to date - what a great idea.

Kelli said...

Thanks guys :)

Irene said...

Yes, I am so glad Kelli keeps us connected!

Small House said...

This is a great idea. My family (siblings that is) isn't really all that close. I might give this a whirl. See if my siblings would be willing to participate. I'm not going to count on it, but it would worth a try.

Have a great day.

linda said...

better get going on my Bucket list so I will have something to say next time! Thanks Kelli.

wendy said...

Our families are all over the place too. Kind of the nature of this world we now live in. Jobs, school...lots of things take us all over.
I used to compile a family newsletter too, oh about 30 years ago almost.
I'd send it out to everyone.
That was before facebook and all these internet options we have now.

It was valuable at the time.
so I guess it doesn't matter WHAT we do, just so long as the "connections" stay strong.

julie said...

We love all you guys and it's great to have Kelli motivated to keep us up to date on each other! (Linda, I need to get a life, so I will have something to talk about next time as well!)

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

This is a very nice idea and Kelli deserves kudos for organizing it. I keep in touch with family far and near by phone or facebook these days..at Christmas time everyone sends photos and family letters. My husbvand SKYPES with his aunts uncles and cousins in Italy.

Marg said...

This was a wonderful post...I just am working on some posts from a 100th birthday celebration and wow, it's been a powerful weekend bringing family back together young and old.