Sunday, January 27, 2013

Meet my new chair….(and fighting winter doldrums)

P1270106

It’s snowing.

Again.

We haven’t seen the ground since Christmas Eve.

Our Christmas lights are frozen in place.

Our Sunday dinner group was pretty sparse today since only Andrew and Irene, (and kids), and Robbie made it here.  They probably would have stayed home if the snow hadn’t been delayed getting to them.  The roads were slick and covered with ice and snow and many cars were sliding off the road.

At school, my students haven’t had an outside recess the whole month of January.  Spending almost every minute of the school day with twenty-four restless children at your side is right up there with cruel and unusual punishment (for them and me)! 

The air quality in Utah has been on high alert due to inversions, keeping the bad air on the ground and the good air up above the cloud cover.

So,

since I haven’t had much to blog about, I thought I’d introduce you to my new chair.

photocopy

I had wanted one more chair in our family room to finish up the space.  At first my husband thought a chair was an expense we didn’t need, but as we had rearranged some furniture to get ready for a Christmas tree, we realized that the big triangular middle section of our sofa was not worth the space it was taking up (it only gave seating for one person) and limited the furniture arrangement.  Maybe we needed a new direction- a sofa and a love seat?

We did some looking, but couldn’t find anything we liked (that didn’t a small fortune),

I had dragged a chair up from a bedroom and had accepted things as they were.   It would do.

While Ken and Liz took some fabric samples back to the furniture store,  I was home content with my new arrangement. 

(Why am I telling you this, you ask?)

stamp woodcut

  Since I have been the restless one wanting things to decorate our house, I guess I want it on paper that this chair was not my doing.

Liz spotted it from clear across the store.

They called me on the phone and asked if they could bring it home.

What could I say?

They forced me.

The colors in the chair included every other color in our room.

It tied the whole room together and gave it a fresh “punch”.

(“Punch” is the go-to word on decorating shows!)

And compared to buying a new sofa and love seat it was a bargain!

(I need to remember this tactic next time I want something new.)

Liz talked the salesman down a bit, too, saying she wasn’t sure if I would be too happy since I had been looking for a sofa and love seat.

And yes, I love it!

So there you have it.

P1270075

I thought you’d want to know about the chair.

JoAnn

P.S.  Did I mention that is is snowing and I have the winter doldrums?

 

9 comments:

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

What can I say? I've spent many a years perfecting my Daddy sweet talk. :) and besides, that chair was just too good to pass by. It really did give us that punch of color we were looking for without being completely overwhelming.

Pondside said...

That is a great chair. I'll bet you smile every time you walk past it or catch a glimpse of it. It says 'sit here' all over it. What a great way to banish the January blues.

Stacey said...

Oh your chair looks fantastic. The fabric looks so nice with the paint color.

I can't imagine not having outdoor recess for that long! I feel for you.

Marg said...

Send the snow my way...it's half way down the mountains...but not close enough for me. I too love the chair...it has the punch look.

wendy said...

What an adorable chair...it's perfect!!!!
I thinnk most all of us are pretty tired of the snow and cold....ohhh spring just can't get here too soon

Mimi Sue said...

This has been a crazy winter! Can't even imagine what it's like for you teachers. (a little prayer for you all!) Love your new chair. Something new to brighten up this drab winter. Cheaper than counseling sessions too. Mimi

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Oh wow! I love your new chair! It looks so perfect for that spot and the colors and pattern really are a "punch"!

Irene said...

I hope outside recess comes your way soon!

Canadian Chickadee said...

Your new chair looks great! I've been rearranging our furniture too -- a chair from upstairs, the sofa over there. It doesn't take care of all the winter doldrums, but it does help! Thanks for sharing your story.