Thursday, August 1, 2013

Summer storms

We’ve had some really hot weather here in Utah and are even looking at breaking the record for the most days above 100 degrees during the year.  The old record was for twenty-one days and we are now at nineteen.  I guess I can endure a few more scorching days-just to make history.

(Besides, I’ve already given up on any kind of normal hair-do,

due to sweating.)

While it was HOT, we had double our normal rainfall during July.

That meant a lot of beautiful storm clouds.

Project1

image

and a few mysterious ones…

!cid_53E8827C-23FF-4380-85C8-016D3103505F

This photo was from Michelle!

I find a good thunder storm refreshing and exciting

(providing I am not in danger of lightning striking me, or planning an outdoor cookout for grandpa Clegg’s ninety-fifth birthday party with thirty guests coming)

and it is nice to get a break from watering the grass.

Besides, don’t you love the smell of the fresh air after a storm?

Or the memory of a picnic under the kitchen table with rain beating against the window panes?

I just love curling up with a good book during a rain storm.

And it’s romantic….

Wasn’t it a heavy downpour that enabled Elizabeth Bennet to stay at Netherfield Park while she tended to her sister, Jane, who was  suffering from a nasty cold she picked up after getting caught in the rain?  And didn’t that contribute to Elizabeth’s falling in love with Mr. Darcy?  And ultimately ending up at the beautiful estate Pemberly?

(Jane Austin’s Pride and Prejudice)

So, as I sit here at my computer,listening to far off thunder, I’m crossing my fingers and really hoping the dark clouds blow my way.

I’m ready for a cooling storm.

Bring it on, Mother Nature!

 

“Life isn't about waiting for the storm

to pass...It's about learning to dance in

the rain.”
Vivian Greene

 

JoAnn

P.S.  The back to school countdown has begun. 


Thank you Staples and Office Depot for the good sales and the teacher discounts!

 

4 comments:

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

I love summer thunderstorms! And we have definitely seen our share this summer. Love it. I'm still curious about that cloud Michelle and I saw tonight. I've never seen anything like it. It was odd, but very cool looking.

Pondside said...

We had rain here yesterday, after more than a month of dry, hot weather. Yes, I was out walking in the rain and loving it!

Mimi Sue said...

I love summer storms too! Coming from Calif it is such a treat to have weather! We had a thunderstorm maybe once every five or six years. We like to sit on our covered patio and watch the show. Mimi

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

We received much needed rain this weekend, too, JoAnn! I breathed a sigh of relief as I now worry about the fire danger from lightning when the foothills that surround us get too dry.

I love the big bright blue skies and bright fluffy white clouds of the west! You photos and post is lovely!