Monday, June 16, 2014

Waiting for perfection…or not

 

Remember these Mother’s Day planters?

image

After the grand kids went home, I filled my  two pots with a few little plants, put them in the sun, and have enjoyed watching them grow. 

I brought my geraniums home from school to add to the color. 

They are adjusting to the heat so they aren’t quite at full beauty.

image

image

The perennials have been so pretty.

(I wish I’d taken pictures of some of the earlier ones!)

image

image

I was waiting until everything was weeded and I missed out on the pictures!  (I think there is a life lesson in this!)

The flowers below are waiting for my shovel to move along and finish the edging job, but I took the photo any way.

image

image

image

Often, I wait for the perfect moment to enjoy things-when the weeds are all gone, when the house is completely clean, when I lose weight, when I’m all caught up on things.   It’s a fault I’ve always struggled with, compounded by the fact that I seldom have everything in order AT THE SAME TIME!

I’m trying to stop looking at the whole picture and focus more on the details.

I’m one of those people who has to have the closets neat and tidy to have an out door party!

I avoid buying new clothes because I need to shed major pounds, even though I know I’d look better in something that isn’t ten years old.

I avoid getting together with old friends until I can fit in smaller pants.

This mind set usually leads to FRUSTRATION!

Does anyone understand my problem?

I know that while I’m waiting for things to be perfect, life is moving on and I’m missing out on wonderful moments.

There.  I said it.

So, I’m going to be trying very hard to appreciate small victories, or baby steps, in my quest for perfection.

Don’t be surprised when you see pictures of my flowers with tall spires of Johnson Grass sticking out of the top, or finger prints on the glass doors in photos I share.  Please try to ignore my bad hair moments in family pictures.

(I may resort to some photo editing!)

Hello.

My name is JoAnn

and I’m a recovering perfectionist-wanna-be.

 

7 comments:

White Lace and Promises said...

I like the cuties in the planters the best:)

Stacey said...

Your flowers and plants are beautiful! I know what you mean about perfection. When at look at my yard or house, I often focus on the things that are undone. Don't put off time with friends though...we had a hospitality class at my church one time that was so wonderful. We (a big group of ladies) were invited to dinner at the minister's house. After it was all said and done, our minister's wife asked if we noticed the cat hair on every chair and the placemats that were actually pieces of fabric that she cut with pinking shears. She said there were leaves all over the front porch and a long list of other things. The point was that none of us even noticed those things because we were happy to be together. I constantly remind myself of that dinner because I learned such good lessons. :)

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I can fully relate, JoAnn! I was telling my husband the other day, when we were at the outlets buying some new summer clothes, that my entire life I've always wished I was thinner--even when I was a skinny size 9! It seems women are never happy with their weight, no matter how svelte they are. Same with the house--I would be mortified if I didn't clean up when I knew company is coming. Everything has to be spick and span. It really is a perfectionist problem and just adds to life's stress. :(

Your flowers are all beautiful! We had such a late, cool spring that mine are just about beginning to grow

Pondside said...

Oh JoAnn, I could have written this! We are twins in this respect. I am one who will clean the guest room for a luncheon when no one will ever even go upstairs. We will both have to work on this - I'll encourage you and you can encourage me'

Rosella said...

Your gardens are so pretty! Mine are in such dire need of weeding AGAIN - sigh! Never got the mulch put on so this is what happens. I still love that so much is blooming right now. I love my garden best in mid to late June.

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

"Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today." This quote gets me every time. It reminds me that I can't live hoping things will be better or things will calm down soon enough. Then I start thinking about how I can't keep putting off doing the laundry because by tomorrow we won't have any clean clothes. But if I stop to do the laundry I'll miss out on doing whatever it is my kids want me to do with them today... Ah the personal turmoil! But I agree, your yard is beautiful and your house looks great and no one else is going to see everything you haven't done.

Danelle long said...

I so admire you, you somehow seem to say the things I need to hear. I often put off things for the same reason. Then I miss things I really regret. You are an awesome woman!