Sunday, September 21, 2014

Connect Pass Number #5

We have had a hard time getting together to enjoy our Salt Lake Connect passes.  (It’s a good thing we have a whole year to use them!)  Life doesn’t seem to slow down very often, and there are a lot of us to coordinate schedules with, including work schedules, trainings, lessons, church callings, and  so on. 
We did get together yesterday (minus Robbie and Brittany who had other commitments, and whom we really missed) to use our Snowbird passes.
Snowbird is about ten miles up beautiful Little Cottonwood Canyon, and is a winter ski resort-summer sports venue. 
P9203932
The drive there was so pretty with some of the leaves already starting to change color.
image
With our passes, we had the option of riding in the enclosed tram or the open ski lift to the top of the mountain and then back down(normal value $17 each).
image
With six children under the age of eight, we opted for the security of the enclosed tram.  It was quite thrilling to watch the resort, cars, and people get smaller and smaller as we ascended the mountain.
image
The tram let us out at the top, at 11,000 feet.
image

image
We felt like we really were on top of the world!
The views were astonishing.
image
image
The air was a little smoky, probably due to fires in California, but you could see for miles, in every direction.  It kind of took your breath away (especially if one wasn’t used to the altitude here)!
image
Katie, Andrew, Irene, and I decided to hike to the ski lift for the ride back down.  We felt rewarded for our hiking efforts, because it was much more exciting being in the fresh air, feeling the wind against our faces and smelling the fragrance of the pines, as we descended back to the resort.
image
Michelle, our family coordinating-event pusher, planned this outing to coincide with Snowbird’s Oktoberfest celebration.
THANK YOU, MICHELLE!
After our scenic ride to the top of the mountain, we enjoyed the festivities of the German festival, down on the plaza.  There was beer drinking (which we DIDN’T participate in), polka dancing, juggling, German food, entertainment, and people watching to be had.
image
Oktoberfest 2014
Project1
image
image
photo 2
image
Little Zach even had a nap while his daddy was busy dancing with his sisters!
image
This activity  will certainly become a yearly tradition for our family!
We loved it!
Don’t you love cultural festivities?
JoAnn
P.S.  Too bad I outgrew my dirndl!
aa

8 comments:

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

First off. I LOVE that picture of you! So fun. And I am so glad we have found a new favorite fall time activities. Yesterday was so much fun. I'm glad we happened upon all that fun entertainment!

Irene said...

We had a blast, and I'm sorry we missed out on the entertainment, it looked like a lot of fun. And I also LOVE that picture of you.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Isn't it exhilarating to be at 11,000 feet?! I love taking lift rides like this one. Summer passed too quickly this year and we dis not get a chance to go up to a ski resort here to do this. My husband is retiring soon, and we hope to have time to do much more. Denver has a wonderful German festival during the Christmas season and we enjoyed visiting it last year and will probably do the same this year.

You look so cute in your dirndl, JoAnn! Whenever I look at old photos and I'm always surprised by how thin I was once upon a time--lol!

Marg said...

Those are fun cultural festivities and it's fun to see all the family participate. I out grew my dirndle also. I may need to post that some time.

Anonymous said...

Super fun -- enclosed tram would be the way to go indeed.. but if I was alone the open ski lift would be awesome - though I have done neither - I can image the thrill of it all.. Logan canyon was blazing with color 2 weeks ago .. it's still beautiful but with rain and wind -- it's not so much so now..
Keep sharing your adventures..
Hugs

Mimi Sue said...

We live in a beautiful state! Looks like everyone had fun. Mimi

julie said...

You and your family always do the most fun things! Kinda jealous.....

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Joann, you are my Easy Canvas winner! Congratulations! Please e-mail and I will send you back the code to order yours and instructions.